No Novell Client for SLED 12.0?

Anybody know why there doesn’t seem to be a Novell Client for SLED 12.0 (Or if there is plan to release one later)? And are there are any alternatives other than ncpfs?

Hi
The Novell client is no longer developed, so no chance of a release and the existing version won’t work. There is just the ncpfs kernel module.

I’m not aware of any alternatives…

malcolmlewis wrote:[color=blue]

rogerbycek;24524 Wrote:[color=green]

Anybody know why there doesn’t seem to be a Novell Client for SLED 12.0
(Or if there is plan to release one later)? And are there are any
alternatives other than ncpfs?[/color]
Hi
The Novell client is no longer developed, so no chance of a release and
the existing version won’t work. There is just the ncpfs kernel module.

I’m not aware of any alternatives…[/color]

In case the NCP server supports it CIFS or NetStorage/WebDAV together
with Nautilus or Konqueror might be worth a try. But I agree that it
very much looks like Novell is silently dropping their commitment to the
Linux desktop. Does SLED12 still include the iPrint client or GroupWise?
Will a client for Filr be available?
Without NCP and the iPrint client SLED is much less interesting than it
used to be.

Günther

Günther Schwarz wrote:
[color=blue]

But I agree that it
very much looks like Novell is silently dropping their commitment to the
Linux desktop. Does SLED12 still include the iPrint client or GroupWise?
Will a client for Filr be available?[/color]

Just checked with the installation DVD: none of these is shipped with
SLED12. None of these is mentioned in the Release Notes section for
deprecated packages which es especially disappointing. So it very much
looks like SLED11 will the the last version for us. General support for
SLED11 SP3 ends on 31rd of March 2016. So still some time available to
evaluate other offers.

Günther

This is really disappointing, if the novell client is dropped, a lot of uses will be forced back to Windows.

Bernhard

CIFS seems to work ok, we’re moving that way at my place of employment as well as an overall move away from anything to do with Novell on the client side.

They also removed support for MONO in SLED12 , which kills off iFolder as well on the platform… in the words of Han Solo, I got a bad feeling about this…

On 11/12/2014 14:44, dbgallo wrote:
[color=blue]

They also removed support for MONO in SLED12 , which kills off iFolder
as well on the platform… in the words of Han Solo, I got a bad feeling
about this…[/color]

I would say that the future of iFolder is Filr except there’s currently
no Linux client for Filr (though it’s accessible via web browser and
WebDAV).

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below. Thanks.

right, no client for FiLR, nor apparently plans for one

Might be a better way to put it…

there are no novell product specifc clients in SLED12, nor is there a way to backload the older ones. Whereas in SLED 11 there was Groupwise, iPrint, iFolder novell client, and it worked with NCC and didn’t require a separate SMT box.

For all purposes, ubuntu is better at what I need than SLED, and that one doesn’t require a subscription

[QUOTE=smflood;25366]On 11/12/2014 14:44, dbgallo wrote:
[color=blue]

They also removed support for MONO in SLED12 , which kills off iFolder
as well on the platform… in the words of Han Solo, I got a bad feeling
about this…[/color]

I would say that the future of iFolder is Filr except there’s currently
no Linux client for Filr (though it’s accessible via web browser and
WebDAV).

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

------------------------------------------------------------------------[/QUOTE]

On 11/12/2014 15:44, dbgallo wrote:
[color=blue]

right, no client for FiLR, nor apparently plans for one

Might be a better way to put it…

there are no novell product specifc clients in SLED12, nor is there a
way to backload the older ones. Whereas in SLED 11 there was Groupwise,
iPrint, iFolder novell client, and it worked with NCC and didn’t require
a separate SMT box.[/color]

Whilst Novell used to own SUSE now they’re a sister company with both
under the Micro Focus umbrella (with the “split” taking place under The
Attachmate Group) - for all intents and purposes Novell and SUSE are
separate companies.
[color=blue]

For all purposes, ubuntu is better at what I need than SLED, and that
one doesn’t require a subscription[/color]

If you’re used to SLED why not openSUSE instead of Ubuntu?

HTH.

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

because we bought SLED because it worked with Novell products, and there is no reason to stay in the suse-iverse if it doesn’t work with them, I bet Designer doesn’t work anymore either. As a corporate move, is this going to continue? where once novell owned properties stop working on current novell technology? ie is IDM going to be windows only? is Sentinel only going to collect data on Windows products? PUM? Change Guardian? and what about OES Altair/2015? will that not be supported on SLES as well?

Good day,

I cannot comment on the other products that you mentioned, but I remember from Brainshare that OES 2015 will run atop SLES 11 SP3, there was some debate about putting it atop SLES 12, but that would have caused some product delays, thus the choice to put it on SLES 11 SP3.

I agree with your comment, I really don’t see a reason to move towards SLED 12 now, especially after reading this posting, I still use GroupWise, iManager, on my SLED desktop but I have to wonder if some other products like iPrint will still work with the newer version of SLED? Nor am I a fan of having to move back to a Windows workstation full time.

Dear God…how much more can I be let down by this company…Is it too much to ask for some integration from the product that is integrated with all Novell services now…I still use OES heavily…I want to keep using it…but I need some Linux Desktop integration still…

[QUOTE=dschaldenovell;25416]Good day,

I cannot comment on the other products that you mentioned, but I remember from Brainshare that OES 2015 will run atop SLES 11 SP3, there was some debate about putting it atop SLES 12, but that would have caused some product delays, thus the choice to put it on SLES 11 SP3.

I agree with your comment, I really don’t see a reason to move towards SLED 12 now, especially after reading this posting, I still use GroupWise, iManager, on my SLED desktop but I have to wonder if some other products like iPrint will still work with the newer version of SLED? Nor am I a fan of having to move back to a Windows workstation full time.[/QUOTE]

Anybody know why there doesn’t seem to be a Novell Client for SLED 12.0 (Or if there is plan to release one later)? And are there are any alternatives other than ncpfs?

From second post in this thread - "The Novell client is no longer developed, so no chance of a release and the existing version won’t work. "

CIFS has been mentioned as an alternative.

[QUOTE=mikewillis;26515]From second post in this thread - "The Novell client is no longer developed, so no chance of a release and the existing version won’t work. "

CIFS has been mentioned as an alternative.[/QUOTE]

I am Linux user for more than 10 years, at home and at work too. Novell regularly makes everything for stop to using it. Some years ago I had plan to switch all of our users from Win to SLED. I’m glad that I didn’t do it, because whithout client is this not applicable for corporate users… I have no useable Groupwise client (sorry, but GW 8 isn’t smart for today), I have no Vibe desktop, I have no Filr client, I have no Novell client… how reason is for staying in Novell Linux world… only pride on past days, maybe…