no SAS disk drives detected on Proliant ML350p Gen8 server

When installing SLES 11 SP1 or SP2 on the Proliant ML350p Gen8 server the raid volume is not detected. I can only choose the iLO partition as install partition. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and also the Proliant boot kit ISO. Booting is OK but no raid devices detected for the P420i SAS controller.

Installing Hyper-V server works without any problems, so I expect its a driver / bios setting / boot option problem.

I followed the instructions for the installation but seem to be missing something.
Do I need to set any boot options for this to work or is there a alternative procedure for installation.

Please help.

Just ran into this a few days ago… The Gen8 ( hpsa ) driver is required. There are a number of ways to go. You could download the PSP for this server ( probably this ) or whatever. or follow HP’s documents on this. I believe the SLES 11 SP2 media includes the proper driver. It should be the hpsa driver rather than the cciss diver used for gen 7 and prior. Specifically see this, page 12 discusses the boot options that will allow the hpsa driver to acquire the hardware rather than cciss. And yes, its positively stupid that we need to do anything. But its the HP drivers, rather than SLES or Linux per se, that is the issue.

On e you get past this, your SLES 11 SP2 server install will go just fine.

– Bob

Thanks for the reply Bob,

I did use the cciss.cciss_allow_hpsa=1 switch for SLES 11 SP2 as noted in the documentation. Tried it with the different kernels using F5, but it doesn’t work.
When I’m not mistaken the boot option is only relevant for controllers that also support the scsi driver. The P420i controller only supports hpsa.
From the info I can get it looks like the driver is loaded during boot but the drives are not detected. Also I cannot see the hpsa driver in the loaded modules using expert mode.

Is the a way to load the driver manually and what options should I supply then. Without any options it returns an error message.

Use the following kernel parameters when choosing the Installation option at the CD boot screen

cciss.cciss_allow_hpsa=1, hpsa.hpsa_allow_any=1

This worked for me using SuSE ES 11sp1 so it should work for SP2.

[QUOTE=hbmjanssen;6275]When installing SLES 11 SP1 or SP2 on the Proliant ML350p Gen8 server the raid volume is not detected. I can only choose the iLO partition as install partition. I downloaded and installed the latest firmware and also the Proliant boot kit ISO. Booting is OK but no raid devices detected for the P420i SAS controller.

Installing Hyper-V server works without any problems, so I expect its a driver / bios setting / boot option problem.

I followed the instructions for the installation but seem to be missing something.
Do I need to set any boot options for this to work or is there a alternative procedure for installation.

Please help.[/QUOTE]