node hangs on pxe boot infinite loop

Hello all

I have the following setup

SLES11-R3 admin node in a VM 2GB memory 32GB virtual storage

I ran updates and installed Admin node successfully

When trying to configure additional nodes with pxe boot, i get the following error

…waiting for pxe file to contain: .*_install and then it goes into a infinite loop

I have tried running chef-client on the admin node and it hangs at

package[nfs-utils] action install (nfs-server::default line 45)

Any help would be appreciated

Jide

Please can you provide a supportconfig?

Hi, please how do mean by supportconfig. Kindly explain.

Thank you

Jide

Hi Jide,

[QUOTE=jideogunmekan;22850]Hi, please how do mean by supportconfig. Kindly explain.

Thank you

Jide[/QUOTE]

please see the manual, here’s the link to the respective section: https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse_cloud3/singlehtml/book_cloud_deploy/book_cloud_deploy.html#sec.depl.trouble.support

Thanks,
Robert

Hi

It generated a quite a lot of files. I have zipped into a file but cannot upload attachments. Is there a specific one to post?
Thanks

Jide

On Wed, 30 Jul 2014 16:34:01 +0000, jideogunmekan wrote:
[color=blue]

Hi

It generated a quite a lot of files. I have zipped into a file but
cannot upload attachments. Is there a specific one to post? Thanks

Jide[/color]

Hello Jide,

You could upload it here: ftp://ftp.novell.com/incoming/

and than simply update the people here on the file name you have uploaded
to that FTP server so it can be traced back.

Regards
Hans

Hi

Thanks for the support. I have uploaded the supportconfig file nts_admin_140730_1757.zip to the ftp site thanks

For some reason I cannot access that file :frowning: However we should get you support through the proper channels. Are you an existing customer or is this a proof of concept? And in what country/area? Thanks!

Hi, not yet an existing customer. Yes this is a proof of concept we are working on. We are located in Lagos, Nigeria

Thanks

Jide

Hello

Any further help?

Hi Jide,

[QUOTE=jideogunmekan;22897]Hello

Any further help?[/QUOTE]

hang on :wink: This forum is run by volunteers, although from time to time Novell/SUSE folks do try to help out here as well. But it’s always on spare time, so please don’t be disappointed if it takes a moment to respond, we all have daytime jobs to look after, too :slight_smile: But we’re doing our best to help you.

(If you’re looking for official support, you’d need to contact i.e. your local SUSE sales staff for pre-sales support or, once officially licensed, via the offerings of your support contract.)

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jideogunmekan;22897]Hello

Any further help?[/QUOTE]

Please install supportconfig from the following link and create log tarball again:
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/free_tools/supportconfig-linux/

The file you uploaded doesn’t contain any cloud related information as supportconfig is missing the cloud plugin.

Did cloud deployment script on admin node finished without any errors?

As you are deploying in VirtualBox make sure that new node is on the same network segment as admin node DHCP server. If new node is PXE-booted it should receive response from this DHCP. Then you should see discovered node in dashboard.

[QUOTE=ravarga;22947]Please install supportconfig from the following link and create log tarball again:
https://www.suse.com/communities/conversations/free_tools/supportconfig-linux/[/QUOTE]

I don’t think that will help. The supportconfig provided shows that supportconfig and the correct cloud plugin were both installed.

Right. I can only imagine that this was due to running supportconfig with the wrong options somehow? When run with no options it should use the plugin.

[QUOTE]Did cloud deployment script on admin node finished without any errors?

As you are deploying in VirtualBox make sure that new node is on the same network segment as admin node DHCP server. If new node is PXE-booted it should receive response from this DHCP. Then you should see discovered node in dashboard.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Jens

This is noted.

Jide

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;22925]Hi Jide,

hang on :wink: This forum is run by volunteers, although from time to time Novell/SUSE folks do try to help out here as well. But it’s always on spare time, so please don’t be disappointed if it takes a moment to respond, we all have daytime jobs to look after, too :slight_smile: But we’re doing our best to help you.

(If you’re looking for official support, you’d need to contact i.e. your local SUSE sales staff for pre-sales support or, once officially licensed, via the offerings of your support contract.)

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi

thanks for the response. I will re-run the supportconfig script again. When I boot the node, it gets pxe IP address from the Admin node, but for some reason It keeps waiting for the boot files.

Jide