RHN check in time

We are running suma 3.2 and sles & sled 12 & 15. The file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd has the rhn checkin time set to <INTERVAL=240 default> . We change it to 60 minutes. But every so often we notice that something is changing it back to 240 and creating the rpmsave file that contains the 60.

Is there anything we can do to stop this ? It’s getting to be a pain to have to keep changing it back to 60. We want our server to check in every hour for schedule tasks. Whether they be patches, remote commands or reboots. 4 hours is too big a window.

Thanks

[QUOTE=cisaksen;56432]We are running suma 3.2 and sles & sled 12 & 15. The file /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd has the rhn checkin time set to <INTERVAL=240 default> . We change it to 60 minutes. But every so often we notice that something is changing it back to 240 and creating the rpmsave file that contains the 60.
[/QUOTE]
This is a packaging bug and would qualify for a support request.

You can either use ‘osad’ or switch to Salt.

Don’t have a solution but as a workaround you could try making the file non-writable with something like “chmod -w /etc/sysconfig/rhn/rhnsd”.

I wouldn’t do that chmod - could cause problems for zypper/rpm (or just plain not work), and it’s a crude way to approach this need.
Of course, the new package (in SLES v15, anyway) is mgr-demon, and that config file now has no effect. Instead, the scheduling is handled via a systemd Timer.
I don’t like the default 4 hour timing, either. So I wrote an RPM mgr-daemon-company, that deploys a new Timer file. Since the original Timer file is owned by the mgr-daemon package, my RPM can’t deploy the same file, so my file has a different name. Using the Triggers functionality of RPM, a sym-link is created and maintained from the original filename to my file. So if an updated mgr-daemon RPM is installed, the Trigger function will make sure my version of the Timer file gets linked.