Schrödinger upgrade attempt from 0.5.0 to 1.2.0

So, this upgrade both succeeded and failed.

What I mean by that is that, after upgrading:

• I was unable to log in. My SSH key was, apparently, gone. I had to edit the linux boot settings to specify rancher.autologin=tty1

• Upon using auto login, I realized that all my containers were gone, which I could quickly confirm by checking that /var/lib/docker was now empty.

That’s when I realized that I was now in a completely new, virgin environment.

Good news is that I am using grub, so I created an additional entry with linux and initrd pointing to their 0.5.0 versions. After booting using this profile, I was able to see all my containers again. Nothing was lost.

So, how does this happen? And what can I do to fix this situation? Obviously, I would like to run a more recent version.

Cheers

Hi Chris,

what about an upgrade with smaller steps? Maybe you can try to upgrade to an older release first (e.g. 1.0.0) and check if this release is working and then go to the next step. It might be worth trying.

Kind regards,
Paul

I suppose so.

Any idea what could make Rancher behave this way, thought? Act as if this was a brand new environment? Rather than anything getting corrupt (and that’s a relief), it’s a clean cut.