SLED 11 SP3 migration to old kernel?

Today I succeeded in migrating from my system SLED11 SP2 to SP3. I had run SP2 with kernel 3.0.80-0.7.1 and to my surprise noticed that SP3 went back to kernel 3.0.76-0.11. My product is registered, the repositories have been automatically configured, and there are no patches which need to be applied, as far as YOU and zypper are telling me.

Does anybody know if that’s ok?

Hi
It should be 3.0.82-0.7?

What repositories are active?

zypper lr -d

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
up 2:09, 3 users, load average: 0.09, 0.07, 0.05
CPU AMD E2-1800@1.70GHz | GPU Radeon HD 7340

SP3 shiped with 3.0.76-0.11. The version number of some packages is lower in SP3 than in SP2.
http://www.novell.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7012717

[QUOTE=guennov;14966]
My product is registered, the repositories have been automatically configured, and there are no patches which need to be applied, as far as YOU and zypper are telling me.

Does anybody know if that’s ok?[/QUOTE]
No, that’s not OK. Since SP3 shipped there has been a Kernel update. Current version is 3.0.82-0.7.9.

Have you disabled the SP1 and SP2 repos?

Hi, Malcolm,

thank you. Yes, that’s the reason for the problem: missing repositories

zypper lr -d

| Alias | Name | Enabled | Refresh | Priority | Type | URI | Service

–±--------------------------------------------------±--------------------------------------------------±--------±--------±---------±-------±-------------------------------------------±-------
1 | ATI-Driver-SLE11-SP3 | ATI-Driver-SLE11-SP3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://www2.ati.com/suse/sle11sp3 |
2 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.193 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP2 11.2.2-1.193 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | cd:///?devices=/dev/sr0 |
3 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP3_11.3.3-1.95 | SUSE-Linux-Enterprise-Desktop-11-SP3 11.3.3-1.95 | Yes | No | 99 | yast2 | dvd:/// |
4 | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP3 | nVidia-Driver-SLE11-SP3 | Yes | Yes | 99 | rpm-md | http://download.nvidia.com/novell/sle11sp3 |

During online upgrade I received this error message complaining about a memory access error:

Yast got signal 11 at YCP file wagon/common_func.ycp:146
Speicherzugriffsfehler $ybindir/y2base
$module “$@” “$SELECTED_GUI” $Y2_GEOMETRY $Y2UI_ARGS

I successfully retried upgrading to SP3 making use of the installation media. After rebooting I tried to start YOU. Registration was invoked. Today I removed my ‘old’ system from ncc and restartet activation, registration and, several times, repository configuration. (My license will expire in 2015.) Unfortunately the repositories still remain unchanged and are not synchronized. Data in ncc are looking fine. Any idea?

Günter

On 07/08/2013 10:24, guennov wrote:
[color=blue]

Today I removed my ‘old’ system from ncc and restartet activation,
registration and, several times, repository configuration. (My license
will expire in 2015.) Unfortunately the repositories still remain
unchanged and are not synchronized. Data in ncc are looking fine. Any
idea?[/color]

Did you remove the update service or any files from your system?

Please see TID 3303599[1] which gives the steps for correctly resetting
SLE11 registration.

HTH.

[1] https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=3303599

Simon
SUSE Knowledge Partner

Do you work with SUSE technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Technology Transfer
Partner (TTP) program. See TTP Organization | Micro Focus for more details.

Hi, Simon,

no, I didn’t remove the update service nor any files from the system.

I followed the suggested steps in TID 3303599, but with no success. I removed services, credentials and cache and the system registration in ncc. Restarting YaST results in this: configuration of ncc and repositories for updates succeed, but there are no suse- or novell-repositories in zyppers list. Now there are only driver repositories remaining. No update repositories have been added. There are no duplicated system entries in ncc.

Günter

Finally the Deployment Guide, chapter 4.2 SLE Maintenance Model, especially section 4.2.3.2 Working with Channels, presented the solution.

During migration from SLED11 SP2 to SP3 wagon/YaST removed the old repositories and added two driver repositories and two local repositories for SP2 (CD) resp. SP3 (DVD). No channel for updates was added with registration. My system was registered and activated. Novell Customer Center shows mirror credentials to a product, for example
https://nu.novell.com/repo/$RCE/SLED11-SP3-Pool/sle-11-i586/

In YaST I configured software repositories according to the list of required channels in section 4.2.3, Channel Model by adding there ncc URLs and channel names. Required was, too, a username and password for connecting to the channels. Username and password are not those of the account, but are shown on top of the user’s page with mirror credentials for his product, which I mentioned before.

After these steps YOU worked as expected. I suppose that this solution might apply to other SLE environments.

Other solutions as suggested in the Administration Guide (ch.7) or Deployment Guide (ch.3) or Release Notes or TID 3303599 using YaST, zypper, or suse_register didn’t add the repositories.

The system now is up to date.