SLES 11 SP2 to SLES 11 SP3 Upgrade Issues

Yesterday I upgraded one of my SLES 11 SP2 servers to SLES 11 SP3. I have IDM 4.0.1 installed on this server. This is a VMWare server for which the original install was SLES 11 for VMWare. It would not accept the SLES 11 SP3 for VMWare media when I first tried to upgrade so I used the non-VMWare SLES 11 SP3 media and I was successful. I had absolutely no errors during the upgrade. However when I came to the Registration Code window for the NCC I received the error below. I also received the same error on my SMT server (which was a physical box) after an upgrade and now I have no repositories available. Read somewhere that SP3 includes a new version of MYSql. Is there some trick so it won’t foul up your upgrade. Documentation I have found quite limited. I now have two servers I cannot use. Easy to reinstall however I can’t do this on my production boxes. Any ideas or tips in upgrading a SLES 11 sp2 server to SLES 11 SP3? Appreciate your comments. Thank you!!

The error below is when I am trying to register a server named doaawf-p. However this error references my SMT server doaa-smt. What the heck?

ERROR: 500: Server error!
The server encounterred an internal error and was unable to complete request.
Error message:
DBI connect(‘database=smt;host=localhost’.smt’,…) failed: Can’t connect to local MySQL server through socket ‘/var/lib/mysql.sock’ (2) at /usr/lib/perl5/vendor_perl/5.10.0/SMT/Utils.pm line 114
If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 500

doaa-smt.audits.ga.gov
Thu October 30 08:49:08 2014
Apache/2.1.12 Linux/SUSE
500 Internal server error

Hi kbannister,

judging from the error message, the MySQL server on the SMT machine went down (or didn’t come up after a reboot - maybe a missing “insserv mysql”?)

R
egards,
Jens

Sorry for the second reply,

I just noticed the “localhost” string - you seem to have set up an SMT isntance on the local machine, but for some reason (missing insserv?) MySQL didn’t come up. Does “rcmysql start” help to fix the situation? Is so, run “chkconfig mysql” so see if it is turned on and if not, use insserv…

Regards,
Jens

I see that now. The doaawf-p server is trying to connect to the SMT server. It was registered with the SMT server as a Client. And yes the SMT server repositories went away after the sp3 upgrade. Here is the output of the commands you suggested. I think if I can fix MYSQL on the SMT server I will be in good shape. Any ideas how to do this? Thank you!!

doaa-smt:~ # chkconfig mysql
mysql 235
doaa-smt:~ # rcmysql start
Starting service MySQL chmod: cannot access `/var/run/mysql/mysqld.pid’: No such file or directory
failed

insserv command output

insserv mysql
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (2 3 5) of script mysql' overwrites defaults (3 5). insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (2 3 5) of script mysql’ overwrites defaults (3 5).

Hi kbannister,

[QUOTE=kbannister;24508]I see that now. The doaawf-p server is trying to connect to the SMT server. It was registered with the SMT server as a Client. And yes the SMT server repositories went away after the sp3 upgrade. Here is the output of the commands you suggested. I think if I can fix MYSQL on the SMT server I will be in good shape. Any ideas how to do this? Thank you!!

doaa-smt:~ # chkconfig mysql
mysql 235
doaa-smt:~ # rcmysql start
Starting service MySQL chmod: cannot access `/var/run/mysql/mysqld.pid’: No such file or directory
failed[/QUOTE]

# mkdir -p /var/run/mysql;chown mysql.mysql /var/run/mysql

will create that directory and change the ownership to mysql. Then retry “rcmysql start”.

Regards,
Jens

Hi
Just a note, with the release of SLE 12, things have moved to SCC (https://scc.suse.com/) which reading this TID applies to SLE 11 SP3;

https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc.php?id=7015836

Have you ensured the SMT systems is updated?

Thank you everyone. I have to teach a class now but will get back to this in a few hours!!

Well, we decided to install a new VM SLES 11 SP3 and SMT 11 server. The box we were running it on was very old and may have been some of our issues. Thank you for all your suggestions. I may be back with some other questions when I upgrade the IDM servers to SLES 11 SP3. I have a hunch these add on products may get a little testy during the upgrade. Thank you again… Appreciate your help.