SLES 11 SP4 vs OpenSuse?

We would like our software to include support for SLES 11 SP4. However, to save development costs we would like to develop/test against OpenSuse.
With RedHat/CentOs, this is normally not an issue since CentOs is basically RedHat minus rebranding.

But with SUSE, it seems that this strategy would be risky because OpenSUSE runs newer versions of libraries. So it ultimately depends if our software uses libraries that don’t differ across OpenSuse, SLES.

Am I correct in this assessment?

Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
Correct for the moment, especially with SLES 11 SP4. You will find more
alignment between SLE and openSUSE LEAP going forward since they share
the same core.

It also depends on what your developing (C, PHP etc), perhaps some more
info will help.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.2|GNOME 3.20.2|4.4.92-18.36-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

[QUOTE=susegecko111;40491]We would like our software to include support for SLES 11 SP4. However, to save development costs we would like to develop/test against OpenSuse.
With RedHat/CentOs, this is normally not an issue since CentOs is basically RedHat minus rebranding.

But with SUSE, it seems that this strategy would be risky because OpenSUSE runs newer versions of libraries. So it ultimately depends if our software uses libraries that don’t differ across OpenSuse, SLES.

Am I correct in this assessment?[/QUOTE]

I’m unsure but my guess is that if you sign up as a isv/partner (free) there will be benefits: https://www.suse.com/partners/isv/

Thomas