SLES11 SP3 install failes

Hi all
I’m trying to install SLES11 SP3 64 bit from DVD onto an Dell Power Edge 1920 Server Dual Quadcore Xenon CPUs, 32GB memory 300GB SAS RAID1 HD using the onboard PERC6i Raid controller.
Trouble is that I can not get the server to start the installation after booting of DVD.

Now this is pretty much an common server it is certainly not new and driver support not expected therefor, but the SLES11 boots up from DVD and the install dies with no respitories found, apparetly SLES11 looses entirely the DVD drive that it just booted from.
I have spent 2 days crusing Google a other sites, with all kinds of ideas that worked for some but nothing seems to sov my case.

Initial intents was to abandon VmWares high prices and use SLES that I’m very confident of to build cloud and cloud service including virtualization platform for other OSes.
Please help me figure out how in #$%%#$ to make this work, I really want to get out of the complicated and MS/Cisco like licencing scheme.

Cheers Stefan

Hi Stefan,

is it really a PowerEdge 1920 system - or 1950?

AFAICT the DVD drive is SATA-attached, is this true?

For a start with diagnostics - when exactly does the installation “die”? Is it still trying to load the system, or do you already see the YaST menus? Can you use any of the consoles to access a shell, where you might look up what Linux thinks about your hardware? Is there any other output already available at that failing point, like syslog output on one of the consoles?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens
You are right it is an Dell 1950, yes this is the built in DVD SATA drive.
It boot up to the initial menu were you can choose Boot from Harddrive, Install, Diagnostics, etc.
Once i choose Install it starts detecting hardware that takes long time if I push [Esc] i see the command an is says: starting udev
stops with.
starting udev … [udvd [78] worker [89] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100
udevd[78]: worker [89] failed while handling ‘/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1f/ata2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sr0’
next is it comes up with an message:
Cannot find SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 Repository. Activating manual setup program.
i activate that an do not really know where to go what module to ad etc.

It does not seem to matter if virtual devices in management controller are active or auto or disabled.

I’m having a similar problem with SLED11 SP2 and SLES11 SP2 (64bit) on a brand new (manufactured 7/2013) Dell Precision T1700. The initial boot stops with the message:

starting udev … udvd-work[xx]: ‘/sbin/modprobe -b pci:xxxx…’ unexpected exit with status 0x0009

After this the computer is frozen solid. I’ve tried all combinations of Kernel options with the same results.

If I try SLED11 SP1, I don’t see the problem with udevd.

Rafael

Hi
You could try adding the boot option;

acpi_osi="Linux"

This is normal BIOS boot, not UEFI?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Knowledge Partner - If you find this post helpful and are logged
into the web interface, show your appreciation and click on the

below.

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;15616]Hi

acpi_osi="Linux"

This is normal BIOS boot, not UEFI?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
[/QUOTE]

Same error and I checked the BIOS, it’s not using UEFI.

I should point out that the machine is not locked up. There are several udevd error messages that appear after a while.

Rafael

With SLED11 SP3 the udevd error does not happen.

Rafael

Hi tyes this Boot option

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;15616]Hi

acpi_osi="Linux"

There is no change

Cheers
Stefan

Hi all
Thanks for the help, but now I can’t give this experiment more time. Had to go VmWare it installed in 10 minutes with no troubles at all.
I feel defeated and disappointed that I could not switch to SLES that I have been a fan of and used for many years now and leave the VmWare wagon, but that will not materialize any time soon some other product will be chosen for next experiment.

It is clearly not acceptable of an Enterprise product to have these kind of installation problems and until product installs without problems on any regular server hardware others will get the business and attention from the market.
I even had plotted to use SuSE even go in time to SuSE cloud as a platform for new service offering that my company is planning but after this ordeal it is more likely that other distros will be chosen.

Best regards
Stefan