SLES11 Sp3 X-Server don't start

Hello.

I’ve got a problem with SLES11 Sp3 machine. The machine is virtual on vmware 5.1. Installed with the normal install media (not vmware!). This morning, the x-server wasn’t up. An init 3 and init 5 don’t solve it. I restart the machine. No changes.
On the screen I’ve got:
Starting service gdmgdm[11696]: GLib-GIO-WARNING: Tried to implement nonregistered extension point gio-nfs-file-monitor
gdm[11696]: GLib-GIO-WARNING: Tried to implement nonregistered extension point gio-nfs-directory-monitor
startproc: signal catched /usr/sbin/gdm: Segmentaion fault

On the machine there is installed: Apache2 , mysql, php, otrs and nagios.

How can fix this errors? On web I can’t find warning with gio-nfs-…

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Best regards.

Dirk Emmermacher

Hi Dirk,

it isn’t clear to me if this machine ever came up with X enabled… but I’ll assume so. Please correct me if that never worked.

Have you made any changes to the system, either by installing / updating gnome packages or by adding NFS mounts that weren’t active before? I’ve seen that there has been some activity for https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=592211 in January 2013 with regards to NFS monitoring, maybe that’s some code area related to your problem. I’m not Gnome guy, thus I cannot judge those NFS monitoring problems discussed there.

Regards,
Jens

PS: If this is a pure server machine, I recommend not to run an X server on it - rather connect to it remotely and redirect the X clients to a local workstation running X. That way, you won’t burden the server with any graphics-related problems, especially concerning buggy graphics card drivers. This is even more true when running the machine in an emulated environment: Personally, I do not see the advantage of running a remote graphics client against the virtualization layer, to display the emulated output of a virtual graphics card that is driven by an (VM-local) X server, to which the X client inside the VM connects. Shorten the data path and connect the X client directly to the X server (available for MS Windows, too) active on the machine running your graphical frontend :wink:

Hello Jens.

Thanks for your answer.
Last week I added the latest updates to the system. NFS is not used on this machine. I reinstalled all available NFS-programs. No change. Also running the server without nfs-programs. It might be a bug, but I’m not sure here.
My machines are all running with X-server. Most times I work mit putty, but some jobs are easier with a running x-Server…

There are no problems with this machines. So I will hope to get a patch near future.

Best regards from Hannover

Dirk

Hi Dirk,

[QUOTE=Emmermacher;18095]Hello Jens.

Thanks for your answer.
Last week I added the latest updates to the system. NFS is not used on this machine.[/QUOTE]

if you’re covered by the according service level, I recommend to open a SR - looks like a regression to me. But I’m far from being experienced with Gnome, so I cannot tell for sure.

Anyone else willing to chime in here? :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Emmermacher;18095][…]
There are no problems with this machines. So I will hope to get a patch near future.[/QUOTE]

This will only happen if someone reports this as a problem - typically via a SR. If you’re not covered by service, you should create a report via http://support.novell.com/additional/bugreport.html?sourceidint=suplnav4a_bug, mentioning that it’s a regression since your last SLES11SP3 update. You will usually not get any response to that report, but it won’t go by unnoticed!

Regards,
Jens

Hello Jens

So I will start a SR tomorrow.

Regards.

Dirk