SMT registration issue

I’ve recently set up an SMT server in a testing environment to evaluate it’s use in my company’s infrastructure. Everything seems to be working fine, machines I have registered with the SMT server using clientsetup4SMT.sh are moved to the local mirrored repository and can install and update packages. However, I have run into an issue with the smt-list-registrations script. Although I had registered eight machines with SMT, only 5 showed up when I run the script in question. I’ve used the smt-delete-registration script to delete the registrations in order to re-add them, but now only two machines are listed.

I’ve checked the Apache logs and while all of my clients accessing /center/regsvc have status 200, /var/log/smt/smt-register.log doesn’t indicate that the machine has registered.

I haven’t been able to find anything on this, so I was wondering if any of you had some idea as to what is happening.

Hi Frojoe,

have you re-synced with the NCC between registering the clients locally and checking the registrations in SMT?

Regards,
Jens

To clarify, are you asking if I ran smt-ncc-sync after registering each client? If that is the case, then no I did not.

I have however noticed an interesting new symptom. While playing around further, I noticed that when I re-registered a machine on SMT, when I run smt-client, the new machine’s entry has replaced the one old ones’.

Well, I found out what the issue was. The test environment consisted of a number of Xen virtual machines, many of which were clones of one another. What was happening was the credentials in /etc/zypp/credentials.d/NCCcredentials were the same across several sets of machines. When the machines registered on SMT, SMT thought that these machines were the same and simply re-registered the new machine using the same UUID.

Deleting the file and rerunning the shell script fixes the issue

Hi Frojoe,

clones of one another

yes, a classical. I’ve run across these as well… it’s so easy to clone VMs :slight_smile:

Thanks for reporting back!

Regards,
Jens