Question regarding SMT and implementing new servers

I have a few questions regarding the registration of new servers in an SMT environment on System z.

I am helping to support 30+ SLES servers (2 - SLES9, 5 - SLES 10, and 27 SLES 11) under z/VM on System z. One of the SLES 11 servers is a server running SMT. I installed and implemented SMT last year on a new virtual server running SLES 11 SP2. All of the servers were registered with NCC at the time that SMT was implemented, including the server running SMT. I ran the script supplied with SMT, clientSetup4SMT.sh, to register each of the SLES 11 servers with SMT at various times (i.e. the test servers were registered on one date, the pseudo-production servers on another date, and the production servers on another date). I did not register the SMT server with itself.

To head off a suggestion, we are working on upgrading the non-SLES 11 servers to SLES 11 SP2. :slight_smile:

Recently, we upgraded five servers that run DB2 from SLES 10 SP4 to SLES 11 SP2. We did not register the new servers directly with NCC, we simply ran the clientSetup4SMT.sh script on each of these servers.

When I logon to the Novell Customer Center and display my systems, all of the systems except the newest five servers have a date in the Last Checked in column. The new DB2 servers don’t show a Last Checked In date. The OS column shows that the new servers are running ‘sle-11-s390x’.

Is this the correct process or should we register a new server with NCC, then register it with SMT?

When I run command ‘smt list-registrations --verbose’ on SMT, all of the servers (including the newest five) contain an entry like the following (certain fields have been redacted):
Unique ID : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hostname : xxx-mf-xxx-db2m
Last Contact : 2013-03-12 09:40:38
Namespace :
Product : SUSE_SLES 11.2 s390x
Local Registration Date : 2013-03-12 09:40:25
NCC Registration Date : 2013-03-12 09:49:06
Subscription : SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (Z-Series)
Activation Code : xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Expiration Date : 2013-10-31 01:00:00
Purchase Count/Used : 4/30

The z/VM lpar consists of 4 IFL engines. If I’m reading Novell’s SuSE Subscription doc correctly, we only need 4 subscriptions as this is a virtual environment and only multi-cores are charged for. The above display shows the “Purchase Count/Used” to be 4/30. If my interpretation is correct, what do I need to change in order for SMT (and NCC) to reflect that I’m not over my subscription limit?

Thanks.

Harley