Troubled by Suse installation process

I decided to buy Suse Enterprise Desktop with 1 year support, and damn, I regret about it. I payed right away and downloaded ISO file, but all attempts to burn an installation disc failed. The burned DVD contains no files and is not bootable (I tried 4 discs and 3 burners, I am stubborn). Checksums are NOT provided in the page with download instructions. I tried to re-load ISO - the webserver threw an error that I exceeded the 5 possible attempts to download. Why that happened, I have no idea - I tried to download only twice. Instructions for customers are ridiculous and say nothing about handling such errors. I tried to go another way: download the trial version, and use my code to validate it. The server kills my downloads (error “The connection was reset”). I use FireFox DownThemAll download manager, so from my side downloading was stable.

In summary, I payed $50 for a corrupted ISO file, lost 3 hours of my time trying to reload ISO, got stuck and mad. I will call the customer care. But I think that customer should not spend time calling and explaining his troubles because installation downloads are so badly managed… I used openSuse and Ubuntu, and will stay with them.

Thank you, Novell. Never again. I consider it as biggest scam in software I ever bought. Download process is organized unprofessionally, I don’t want to spend my time on this any more.
Maybe my experience will be useful or those who consider choosing Suse Enterprise Desktop.

Hi
Sure you were at the Novell site for the download?

All the information you need is there, checksums, download
instructions? I prefer wget with the -c option.

For SP1 here;
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=efgnQnRkzh4~

For SP2 here;
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=HJJrgsvxzd4~

For SP2 I would also get the SDK;
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=NgW3ToaagDQ~

Only DVD1 is needed for your arch, unless you also want the source rpms.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 11 (x86_64) Kernel 3.0.13-0.27-default
up 8:40, 2 users, load average: 0.00, 0.02, 0.05
CPU Intel i5 CPU M520@2.40GHz | Intel Arrandale GPU

[QUOTE=nvladimus;2809]I decided to buy Suse Enterprise Desktop with 1 year support, and damn, I regret about it. I payed right away and downloaded ISO file, but all attempts to burn an installation disc failed. The burned DVD contains no files and is not bootable (I tried 4 discs and 3 burners, I am stubborn). Checksums are NOT provided in the page with download instructions. I tried to re-load ISO - the webserver threw an error that I exceeded the 5 possible attempts to download. Why that happened, I have no idea - I tried to download only twice. Instructions for customers are ridiculous and say nothing about handling such errors. I tried to go another way: download the trial version, and use my code to validate it. The server kills my downloads (error “The connection was reset”). I use FireFox DownThemAll download manager, so from my side downloading was stable.

In summary, I payed $50 for a corrupted ISO file, lost 3 hours of my time trying to reload ISO, got stuck and mad. I will call the customer care. But I think that customer should not spend time calling and explaining his troubles because installation downloads are so badly managed… I used openSuse and Ubuntu, and will stay with them.

Thank you, Novell. Never again. I consider it as biggest scam in software I ever bought. Download process is organized unprofessionally, I don’t want to spend my time on this any more.
Maybe my experience will be useful or those who consider choosing Suse Enterprise Desktop.[/QUOTE]

Did you check the checksum? Did you burn it as an image? Did you check your installation DVD (the installation process suggests it during installation)?
Yesterday I downloaded the appropriate image, burned it to a DVD and updated to SLED11 SP-2. Everything went quite smooth.

What OS did you use? If it was Windows, that might be the reason for your fault.
Earlier, when I used Internet Exproler for downloding, the process stopped short at 2GB of 4.7 with the wrong checksum.
After using Linux Mozilla Firefox download, I managed this from the very first attempt, although explorer download is considered less reliable for such large files.
Wish you success along the links provided by malcolmlewis.