'zypper repos' command unknown

Hello,
I’m going to administrate a Suse Enterprise Server 10 (ppc), which is already set up.
I tried to install a new package, but I can’t.
When I launch:

sudo zypper install vsftpd

zypper tries to install the package from installation CD instead than from SUSE repositories. And of course it fails.

So, I think repositories are misconfigured.

Then I try:

sudo zypper repos

And the answer is: command unknown!
It seems that this version of zypper does not accept any repo-related commands (repos, addrepo, removerepo, …)

How can it be? And how can I install a new package?

Thank you.

sles10 package management is intended to be done with rug, zypper was just a secondary util.

Check zypper -h → will show
“service-list, sl List services, also called installation sources”
as a command for displaying the repositories.

But if I were you, would use rug instead - is slow, has memory leaks etc., but is the default and primary tool in your case.

Thank you!
And … do you know what exactly repository should I add? I suppose there’s some standard repo.
(Please note I have never used Suse, nor Suse-based distributions.)

On 27/06/2012 14:54, lucavercelli wrote:
[color=blue]

Thank you!
And … do you know what exactly repository should I add? I suppose
there’s some standard repo.
(Please note I have never used Suse, nor Suse-based distributions.)[/color]

Is your server registered against Novell Customer Center or perhaps your
own local SMT server?

Checking the install media for 32-bit SLES10 SP3 I’m seeing the vsftpd
package.

What’s the exact version of SLES10 that you are using? Please post the
output from “cat /etc/*release”

HTH.

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner


Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.

Yes, the package should be on the CD. However this server is in outsourcing, so I don’t have physical access to the CDROM!
I don’t know how this SUSE has been installed there.

The /etc/*release is:
LSB_VERSION=“core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ppc:core-3.0-ppc”
SUSE Linux Entrerprise Server 10 (ppc)
VERSION=10
PATCHLEVEL=1

On 06/28/2012 05:34 AM, lucavercelli wrote:[color=blue]

Yes, the package should be on the CD. However this server is in
outsourcing, so I don’t have physical access to the CDROM!
I don’t know how this SUSE has been installed there.

The /etc/*release is:
LSB_VERSION=“core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ppc:core-3.0-ppc”
SUSE Linux Entrerprise Server 10 (ppc)
VERSION=10
PATCHLEVEL=1

[/color]

Zypper didn’t come to SLES 10 until a later SP level (feel free to correct me
folks).

And SP1 is very old and not supported… at least not in a traditional sense.

On 28/06/2012 11:34, lucavercelli wrote:
[color=blue]

Yes, the package should be on the CD. However this server is in
outsourcing, so I don’t have physical access to the CDROM!
I don’t know how this SUSE has been installed there.

The /etc/*release is:
LSB_VERSION=“core-2.0-noarch:core-3.0-noarch:core-2.0-ppc:core-3.0-ppc”
SUSE Linux Entrerprise Server 10 (ppc)
VERSION=10
PATCHLEVEL=1[/color]

Is the server registered against Novell Customer Center or local SMT?

If so, you should be able to install the vsftpd-2.0.4-19.11 package from
the SLES10-SP1-Online channel with an updated vsftpd-2.0.4-19.18
available via SLES10-SP1-Updates.

Alternatively you could download ISOs of the install CDs and/or DVD from
http://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=2FNtOnmkx-w~

HTH.

Simon
Novell/SUSE/NetIQ Knowledge Partner


Do you work with Novell technologies at a university, college or school?
If so, your campus could benefit from joining the Novell Technology
Transfer Partner (TTP) program. See novell.com/ttp for more details.

Is the server registered against Novell Customer Center or local SMT?

I still don’t know, but I will check. Thank you all!