Twitchy Graphical Response (and now a total lack thereof)

It’s been some time… But Hello,

So, I’ve recently installed opensuse 12.3 on a new server. It’s my first time using Suse in the past… 8 years or so; and it seems my forgetfulness has caused more issues than anticipated. Anyway, the graphics card on this box is an integrated ASPEED ast2050 chip (it’s an asus KCMA-D8 motherboard); which has a proprietary driver. Installing the driver caused the graphics to work for a small amount of time; albeit almost unusable due to the amount of lag. After a short amount of time the graphics stopped working completely; further attempts at Xorg -configure have left me with a “Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices” error. Does anyone have any idea what could be the issue here? What follows are the notes that I’ve taken for myself to maintain my sanity (and keep tabs on where I’ve looked and what I’ve done).

[HR][/HR]

So, first boot and xwindow fails to start. No big deal, I install ASPEED’s proprietary driver and move on from there. Startx works… but there is a tremendous amount of lag in the GUI (gnome). Lag, as in typing takes a few seconds to appear, things take their sweet time loading (I can physically see applications refresh, from top to bottom)… Okay, well, there was probably an issue with Xorg’s configuration. I go to close gdm before trying a standard Xorg reconfiguration and am greeted with the following error:

“error getting system bus […] The maximum number of active connections for UID 1000 has been reached”

This is weird. I check out /var/log/messages and there are a ton of errors relating to getting dbus and send messages. Additionally I’m getting system mail about a failed raid array - but smartctl reports 0 errors for all of these drives, they are brand new and seem to be fully functional. I’m going to have to get back to this in due time.

Hmm. Anyway. Restarting and booting with option nomodeset does have any effect, nor does booting in safe mode. Additionally, trying to configure Xorg leaves me with the error “Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices”. Low and behold - xorg.conf.new shows three screens when I only have one connected. Additionally, it looks as if Xorg is using the fbdev driver instead of the ast driver which I installed. Alright, I’ll force Xorg to use my proprietary AST driver. Nada, same error.

Alright, let’s look into this screen issue. xorg.conf.d/50-screen.conf only contains one entry. But… xorg.conf.install contains three entries for screens; vboxvideo, vmware, and vesa. I’m not sure if this should be this way… but it seems like it doesn’t matter after renaming the file (to xorg.conf.install.old) and trying configuration again. Additionally, no screen sections have been found in any of the other xorg.conf.d files.

Okay, going through the Xorg.1.conf (from when I got my screen to work for a hot second [or wait, is this the configuration for a second monitor? I don’t remember]). AST: more than one matching device section found: autoconfigured video device ast. Additionally, ast: the PCI device 0xnumber at numbers:num:n has a kernel module claiming it. the driver can’t operate and will be unloaded. This sounds again to be about multiple screens/devices. I swear that I have one… If only I could figure out how to make this stop doing that.

Hi
Unfortunately you have posted in the SUSE Linux Enterprise product
forum, openSUSE forum is at https://forums.opensuse.org same login will
work there :wink:

As an aside have you checked the /var/log/Xorg.0.log for errors and
also in your user ~.xsession-errors file. Also if the kernel has been
upgraded you probably need to rebuild the driver you installed.

Cheers Malcolm °¿° (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE 12.3 (x86_64) Kernel 3.7.10-1.16-desktop
up 3:26, 3 users, load average: 0.18, 0.19, 0.18
CPU AMD Athlon™ II P360@2.30GHz | GPU Mobility Radeon HD 4200

Oh! I apologize; my Suse 9 key has quite likely expired. I’ll move along, then. Thank you.