Updating from SLES 11 SP2 to SLES 11 SP4

Dear support,

My IT team installed me a virtual machine with SLES 11 SP2 whereas I requested the SP4 service pack…
In parallel, I received the SUSE subscription key (fro SLES 11 SP4) that has been activated and assigned to my organization in the Customer Center.
To go ahead, I would like to activate the registration using the suse_register command but I am getting the below error message :

FRPARSLSMEDSAPP:/home/suse # suse_register -a email="maxime.xxx@xxx.com" ERROR: No registration key for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 was provided. Registration failed.(99)

I assume that I have to update to SP4 before going ahead. But I don’t know what is the standard procedure to perform this update.
Do I have to ask my IT to rebuild a new VM with the SP4 ?

Thank you in advance.
Maxime

[QUOTE=maxtur;59169]Dear support,

My IT team installed me a virtual machine with SLES 11 SP2 whereas I requested the SP4 service pack…
In parallel, I received the SUSE subscription key (fro SLES 11 SP4) that has been activated and assigned to my organization in the Customer Center.
To go ahead, I would like to activate the registration using the suse_register command but I am getting the below error message :

FRPARSLSMEDSAPP:/home/suse # suse_register -a email="maxime.xxx@xxx.com" ERROR: No registration key for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 was provided. Registration failed.(99)

I assume that I have to update to SP4 before going ahead. But I don’t know what is the standard procedure to perform this update.
Do I have to ask my IT to rebuild a new VM with the SP4 ?

Thank you in advance.
Maxime[/QUOTE]
Hi and welcome to the Forum :slight_smile:
You could do an offline upgrade with the SLES 12 SP4 DVD1 image, but might be easier to get a new machine created and registered. I’m assuming the Customer Center it’s registered to is the SUSE one and not MicroFocus?

Any reason to go with SLES 11 SP4, suggest SLES 12 SP5 or SLES 15 SP1?

Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for your reply !
I have registered the licence on Suse Customer Center :

I have to activate the SLES 11 SP4 licence on another VM on which the SP4 service pack is installed :

frparslsmedssbdd:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) VERSION = 11 PATCHLEVEL = 4

But I am facing the same issue :

frparslsmedssbdd:~ # suse_register -a email="maxime.xxx@xxx.com" ERROR: No registration key for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 was provided. Registration failed.(99)

Due to project constraints I have to use the old SLES 11 SP4 version.

[QUOTE=maxtur;59174]Hi Malcolm,

Thank you for your reply !
I have registered the licence on Suse Customer Center :

I have to activate the SLES 11 SP4 licence on another VM on which the SP4 service pack is installed :

frparslsmedssbdd:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) VERSION = 11 PATCHLEVEL = 4

But I am facing the same issue :

frparslsmedssbdd:~ # suse_register -a email="maxime.xxx@xxx.com" ERROR: No registration key for SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP4 was provided. Registration failed.(99)

Due to project constraints I have to use the old SLES 11 SP4 version.[/QUOTE]
Hi
In suse_register you also have to provide the key (-r option), these days SUSEConnect is used (Not sure if it’s in SLES 11 SP4).

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;59177]Hi
In suse_register you also have to provide the key (-r option), these days SUSEConnect is used (Not sure if it’s in SLES 11 SP4).[/QUOTE]

That is where I am a bit confused. Currently I only have registration code but I don’t have any activation code. How can I get it ?

Hi
The Registration code (As seen on the right in SUSE Customer Center) and Activation code are one in the same thing.

The system has direct internet access or running through a proxy?