what are the alternatives to virt-manager?

Hello,
I want to stop using virt-manager (I get tired of bugs and that for an optimal domU must work editing the cfg)

I’m a little confused, understand that as SLES11 SP3 still use xend / libvirt and all open-source graphics board I found used XCP or XAPI, not clear that alternatives to virt-manager have in SLES.

try configuring openQRM-community-5.1, but it seems that is designed for OpenSuse and not for SLES, also openxenmanager probe but does not connect to the server (I think it’s because it can not xend)

What alternatives do I have to virt-manager in SLES11SP3?

Thank you.

Hi Flako000,

[QUOTE=Flako000;24342]Hello,
I want to stop using virt-manager (I get tired of bugs and that for an optimal domU must work editing the cfg)

I’m a little confused, understand that as SLES11 SP3 still use xend / libvirt and all open-source graphics board I found used XCP or XAPI, not clear that alternatives to virt-manager have in SLES.

try configuring openQRM-community-5.1, but it seems that is designed for OpenSuse and not for SLES, also openxenmanager probe but does not connect to the server (I think it’s because it can not xend)

What alternatives do I have to virt-manager in SLES11SP3?

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had pretty good experiences using “vi”.

This is not meant as a joke - since we have many similar VMs, which mostly differ in disk image source, vNIF MAC addresses and alike, we either generate those files or clone existing files and modify accordingly.

Coming from a cluster environment, we’re used to using file-based VM configurations anyhow, unlike storing VM definitions in Xen’s store.

And for smaller changes, firing up vi is many times quicker than some graphical tool - and works both on a text console and via low-bandwidth ssh :slight_smile:

Regards,
Jens

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;24343]Hi Flako000,
I’ve had pretty good experiences using “vi”.
[/QUOTE]
jajajaja, in current times of GNU prefer mcedit instead of vi :slight_smile:

I do the same as you, settings  domU from file.xml or file.xfg and then a mix of virt-manager and the xm command to start them.

A few months ago I started to train a person in XEN using virt-manager to reduce a learner's curve.
 In the process I realized that virt-manager is full of bugs and it's integration with libvirt xend also has bugs. Bugs that I personally skip the unconscious form using command line.
All this made ​​me look for something that works better than the virt-manager ...

I’ve heard good things about Convirt with Xen:

http://www.convirture.com/products_opensource.php

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…