Wicked Network Appears to crash

SLES12 with all updates. This is the 3rd time this has happened. What appears to happen is total loss of network connectivity. No internet no connectivity to the server at all, cant ping nothing! When i look at the services, network is running and so are all the wicked services. If i stop/start network service i get this:

Can we get support while in eval? So far, i dont think we will be using SLES12. Each time this happens, we have had to reload. The last thing i edited was /etc/logrotate.d/apache, i added some log to the apache rotate file.

I finally got the system booted in recovery mode. Is there any way to use networkmanager instead of wicked?

[QUOTE=carnold6;26608]SLES12 with all updates. This is the 3rd time this has happened. What appears to happen is total loss of network connectivity. No internet no connectivity to the server at all, cant ping nothing! When i look at the services, network is running and so are all the wicked services. If i stop/start network service i get this:

Can we get support while in eval? So far, i dont think we will be using SLES12. Each time this happens, we have had to reload. The last thing i edited was /etc/logrotate.d/apache, i added some log to the apache rotate file.[/QUOTE]
Hi
That to me looks like something isn’t configured in YaST Network → Network Devices → Network Settings and configure the interface up. In recovery mode you can use the ncurses version of Yast (yast rather than yast2) to configure the system.

What is the network hardware, or is this in a VM?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;26610]Hi
That to me looks like something isn’t configured in YaST Network → Network Devices → Network Settings and configure the interface up. In recovery mode you can use the ncurses version of Yast (yast rather than yast2) to configure the system.

What is the network hardware, or is this in a VM?[/QUOTE]

This has been working for about a week then out of the blue, no network at all. When in recovery mode, network stuff works fine. The NIC has a static ip and currently shows as “configured” using ifconfig. In recovery mode, should i roll back and how would i do that? I havent used snapper to take any snapshots

Hi
Fire up YaST in normal mode to see what may be up. Else use journalctl to check the logs;

journalctl --no-pager|grep Network

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;26616]Hi
Fire up YaST in normal mode to see what may be up. Else use journalctl to check the logs;

journalctl --no-pager|grep Network [/QUOTE]

journalctl -cn produces:

Hi
So those are the only errors, specifically wanted to see any Network related ones…?

I see you have another thread on the btrfs issues, best to keep those issues there :wink:

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;26631]Hi
So those are the only errors, specifically wanted to see any Network related ones…?

I see you have another thread on the btrfs issues, best to keep those issues there ;)[/QUOTE]

No issues related to network when i ran the command you suggested. However, when i ran journalctl -xn: i saw those btrfs errors. There was no connectivity this morning when i got in the office. So, i ran btrfs scrub start -B -r / and it reported 9 errors. I then booted off the SLES 12 DVD, ran rescue system and then ran btrfs check --repair /dev/sda1 and this was the result:

Rebooted the server and connectivity has returned. According to the above results, i am not sure if the repair fixed anything? Can you tell if it was successful?

Hi
Are these old or new disks?
[/CODE]
smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl -a /dev/sdb
[/CODE]

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12 GNOME 3.10.1 Kernel 3.12.36-38-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;26635]Hi
Are these old or new disks?
[/CODE]
smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl -a /dev/sdb
[/CODE][/quote]

Old disks that worked fine with SLES11 SP3.

smartctl -a /dev/sda
smartctl 6.2 2013-11-07 r3856 [x86_64-linux-3.12.36-38-default] (SUSE RPM)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: Dell
Product: VIRTUAL DISK
Revision: 1028
User Capacity: 749,606,010,880 bytes [749 GB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
Logical Unit id: 0x600508e0000000007a50dc0a72af5e03
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Fri Feb 27 12:01:01 2015 EST
SMART support is: Unavailable - device lacks SMART capability.

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging

smartctl -a /dev/sda1
smartctl 6.2 2013-11-07 r3856 [x86_64-linux-3.12.36-38-default] (SUSE RPM)
Copyright (C) 2002-13, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: Dell
Product: VIRTUAL DISK
Revision: 1028
User Capacity: 749,606,010,880 bytes [749 GB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
Logical Unit id: 0x600508e0000000007a50dc0a72af5e03
Device type: disk
Local Time is: Fri Feb 27 12:01:01 2015 EST
SMART support is: Unavailable - device lacks SMART capability.

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===

Error Counter logging not supported

Device does not support Self Test logging

Hi
So these are vm disks not physical disks… did you use btrfs on SLE 11 SP3? Not sure how well btrfs does on vm disks…

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;26647]Hi
So these are vm disks not physical disks… did you use btrfs on SLE 11 SP3? Not sure how well btrfs does on vm disks…[/QUOTE]

No, this is a physical server and Dell uses the verbage Virtual Disks. 2 SaS drives in a RAID 1. Did not use btrfs on SLES 11.