YaST display not correct

I am running 30+ servers at SLES 11 SP3 on System z. On most of the servers the lines that make up the boxes are now letters.

lqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqk x YaST2 Control Center x mqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqqj

One of my servers displays the lines correctly.

┌─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐ │ YaST2 Control Center │ └─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┘

If I ssh from this server to the server that displays the lines incorrectly and launch yast, yast displays the lines properly.

I found a thread that addressed a similar issue from Feb 2013 but it didn’t have a resolution, it said to open an SR. I have issued “locale” on each of these servers and the display is the same.

How can I correct this? The problem makes the display hard to read with all of the extra alphabetic characters (as opposed to the line drawings).

Harley

Hi Harley,

this might be a codepage issue on the client - interpreting the server’s response (the individual characters) wrongly.

What client are you using to display the output?

Regards,
Jens

Hi Jens,

I’m using PuTTY.

Harley

Hi Harley,

[QUOTE=x0500hl;21164]Hi Jens,

I’m using PuTTY.

Harley[/QUOTE]

and how are your code page settings, do they match?

Regards,
Jens

Jens,

Problem solved! The codepage for PuTTY sessions with the problem were set to UTF8. The session for the server that didn’t have the problem was set to “ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)”. I chaneg the setting from UTF8 and YaST is now displaying properly.

Thank you!

Harley

Hi Harley,

[QUOTE=x0500hl;21167]Jens,

Problem solved! The codepage for PuTTY sessions with the problem were set to UTF8. The session for the server that didn’t have the problem was set to “ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe)”. I chaneg the setting from UTF8 and YaST is now displaying properly.

Thank you!

Harley[/QUOTE]

…and I thank you for reporting back, this will for sure help others that run into the same situation!

Regards,
Jens