YaST2 Display Corruption

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR="#000000"]I recently installed SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 SP2 and have encountered a previously unencountered problem with YaST.

This server is being run only in text mode, which means that YaST is using ncurses for display functions. Following installation of SLES11 YaST was working fine. I had logged in on all six console screens and was using just one to run YaST. After finishing what I was doing in YaST I logged out on that console. Later on I logged in again (as root) and when I ran YaST to change something the display was filled with all sorts of garbage instead of the nice box graphics that would be expected. I exited from YaST and ran it on a different console screen that was already logged in. YaST displayed normally. I tried this in succession on the other console screens (all of which had been continuously logged in) and YaST was fine on them.

So I logged out on one screen where YaST was displaying properly and logged in again. This time YAST displayed the same corruption that had been seen on the other screen.

Something about logging out and then in again somehow corrupted the YaST display, but I haven’t a clue what that might be. Has anyone here run into a similar problem and if so, what did you do to correct it?

Thanks![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

steggy wrote:
[color=blue]

Something about logging out and then in again somehow corrupted the
YaST display,[/color]

This sounds like a bug to me. Since you seem to be able to reproduce it
every time, I’d suggest you either open a Service Request or submit a
bug report.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR="#000000"][QUOTE=KBOYLE;11946]This sounds like a bug to me. Since you seem to be able to reproduce it every time, I’d suggest you either open a Service Request or submit a bug report.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for your reply, although I was hoping for a more immediate solution that I could apply.

Incidentally, I tried repairing the installation, using the DVD I had used to make the installation. It didn’t help. As I have never run into this before, and since this is the first installation I’ve done with SP2, your thought that it may be a bug certainly has merit.

I want to add to this by noting that if I SSH into this machine from another SLES 11 box (running SLES11 SP1) YaST displays normally. Something related to the console display seems to be amiss here. Some research into this problem failed to turn up anything indicating that others have had similar trouble.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi steggy,

how’s your TERM variable set?

Regards,
Jens

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][QUOTE=jmozdzen;11956][COLOR="#000000"]Hi steggy,

how’s your TERM variable set?

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]
Jens, [/COLOR][FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR="#000000"]TERM[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR="#000000"] is set to [/COLOR][FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR="#000000"]linux[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR="#000000"]. Other than the YaST display corruption, console display seems to be normal. In fact, this machine has Thoroughbred Dictionary-IV loaded (a Business BASIC development environment) and the box graphics displayed within Thoroughbred are completely normal.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hi steggy,

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=3][COLOR=#000000]Jens, [/COLOR][FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=#000000]TERM[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#000000] is set to [/COLOR][FONT=Fixedsys][COLOR=#000000]linux[/COLOR][/FONT][COLOR=#000000].

too bad ;)[SIZE=3], w[/SIZE]ould have been an easy solution otherwise. I guess opening a SR then is [SIZE=3]the [SIZE=3]way to go…

Regards,
Jens[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]