Yast not working after upgrade to SLES11 sp4 (from sp3)

Hi stevenhendry,

sorry to hear about the failing HDD - but it seems you could restore your data after some work, so it didn’t turnout too bad in the end.

rpm -i libgcc_s1-32bit-4.8.3+r212056-2.17.x86_64.rpm

a - why are you trying to install the 32bit package? The missing lib is from the 64 bit version…

b - where did you you get the RPM from? I see you started in /tmp, I would have expected you to be in some temporary mount point where you mounted the ISO, or at least see you give the full path to the RPM from the ISO, i.e. “rpm -i /mnt/suse/x86_64/libgcc_s1-4.8.3*.rpm” (of course with an actually matching path, I don’t have the ISO at hand).

Third, I’d expect that to fail with an error “already installed”, hence you’d have to throw in a “–force” parameter, too.

Regards,
Jens

Hello Jens,

The HDD recovery was interesting, because the HDD seemed dead already.

Sorry I didn’t give you the full story.
FIrstI used a download manager with port 443 for reliable connection to download the ISO.
After this I used winrar to unpack the ISO and then I copied the rpm files to the server.

Should I copy the whole ISO to the server and then mount it?
Is that the problem?

Cheers

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;29099]Hi stevenhendry,

sorry to hear about the failing HDD - but it seems you could restore your data after some work, so it didn’t turnout too bad in the end.

rpm -i libgcc_s1-32bit-4.8.3+r212056-2.17.x86_64.rpm

a - why are you trying to install the 32bit package? The missing lib is from the 64 bit version…

b - where did you you get the RPM from? I see you started in /tmp, I would have expected you to be in some temporary mount point where you mounted the ISO, or at least see you give the full path to the RPM from the ISO, i.e. “rpm -i /mnt/suse/x86_64/libgcc_s1-4.8.3*.rpm” (of course with an actually matching path, I don’t have the ISO at hand).

Third, I’d expect that to fail with an error “already installed”, hence you’d have to throw in a “–force” parameter, too.

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]

Hi stevenhendry,

sorry for not getting back to you earlier - I was offline for some days :frowning:

Should I copy the whole ISO to the server and then mount it?

Yes, in your situation, I’d copy over the complete ISO to the server in question, recheck its checksum and then mount it to some local mount point.

Regards,
Jens

Hello Jens,

Sorry for the late reply.
I did mount the ISO locally and this works :slight_smile: but after a restart the server didnt came online and
I didnt have access to the remote consoles (which I just got today)
Server is up and running, but we are still missing the file:

libgcc_s.so.1: cannot open shared object file

now we have the rpm files and need to install the correct rpm

Here is my latest update,
it seems that the file is present now on the system but not installed:

sles11:~ # find / -name libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

sles11:/var # ls -lh /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 110K May 19 07:15 /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

sles11:/var # rpm -ql libgcc_s.so.1
package libgcc_s.so.1 is not installed

i am missing here something…

SOlved finally !!!

this package was the one I installed and did a reboot:

libgcc_s1-4.8.3+r212056-2.17.x86_64.rpm

thx Jens !!

Hi stephenhendry,

I did mount the ISO locally and this works :slight_smile:
now we have the rpm files and need to install the correct rpm

please mount the ISO (as you rebooted the server, and probably correctly didn’t add it to /etc/fstab) and run “find /yourISOmountpoint -name libgcc_s\*” to find the (non-32bit!) RPM. It should be named similar to “libgcc_s1-4.8.3+r212056-2.17.x86_64.rpm” (note the missing “32bit” in the package name - I’m not referring to the “x86_64” string).

Regarding your other message:

[QUOTE=stephenhendry;29235]Here is my latest update,
it seems that the file is present now on the system but not installed:

sles11:~ # find / -name libgcc_s.so.1
/lib/libgcc_s.so.1

sles11:/var # ls -lh /lib/libgcc_s.so.1
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 110K May 19 07:15 /lib/libgcc_s.so.1

sles11:/var # rpm -ql libgcc_s.so.1
package libgcc_s.so.1 is not installed

i am missing here something…[/QUOTE]

yes, two things:

a - you’re actually looking for the 64bit version of the library (living in /lib64), but found the 32bit version

b - the RPM has a different name from the file, hence your command failed.

Just for the later records, could you please run before and after installing the RPM from the ISO run the command “rpm -vV libgcc_s1”, to see all files that RPMDB knows for the package, and their then current current status?

Regards,
Jens

Hi stephenhendry,

SOlved finally !!!

great news! (Please disregard my other response (I got interrupted while answering, and didn’t catch your latest status update), and thank you for reporting back.)

Regards,
Jens

Hi all,
just for the record: I had the exact same situation after “wagon” from sp3 to sp4.
Getting the lib manually from sp4 dvd solved the issue.
Thanks

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;29238]Hi stephenhendry,

SOlved finally !!!

great news! (Please disregard my other response (I got interrupted while answering, and didn’t catch your latest status update), and thank you for reporting back.)

Regards,
Jens[/QUOTE]