Can vanilla Helm v3 see Rancher Apps?

I’m an administrator of several clusters, and I’ve deployed a couple of catalogs such as https://charts.bitnami.com/bitnami and deployed a few apps from them.

Is it possible to see these apps using vanilla helm? I’d like to see the output of things like helm get values app, but I cannot get this to work.

If I use helm to list apps, I do not see anything:

$ helm ls --all-namespaces --all
NAME    NAMESPACE       REVISION        UPDATED STATUS  CHART   APP VERSION
$

However, I can see various apps using the rancher CLI:

$ rancher apps 
ID                           NAME                  STATE     CATALOG          TEMPLATE                 VERSION
p-abcd:cluster-alerting      cluster-alerting      active    system-library   rancher-monitoring       0.1.0
p-abcd:cluster-monitoring    cluster-monitoring    active    system-library   rancher-monitoring       0.1.0
$

Yes, it can … but in my case, I couldn’t see my ranchers apps using helm ls because the app was installed using helm 2.0 (rancher-helm) instead of helm3.

Once using helm 3.0 to install the rancher app, it works.

https://github.com/rancher/rancher/issues/26920

Ah, that explains it. I have the same app deployed in two clusters, and I can see it in one place but not in the other:

$ helm --kubeconfig cluster1.yml list --all-namespaces
NAME            NAMESPACE       REVISION        UPDATED                                 STATUS  CHART                    APP VERSION
external-dns    external-dns    15              2020-05-12 01:06:45.913700939 +0000 UTC deployedexternal-dns-3.0.0       0.7.0      
$ helm --kubeconfig cluster2.yml  list --all-namespaces
NAME    NAMESPACE       REVISION        UPDATED STATUS  CHART   APP VERSION
$

If I view the metadata in cluster2, I certainly see that it references Helm v2 things such as “Tiller”.

Also, it appears that the Rancher Catalog in question is actually Helm v2, not Helm v3.

Unfortunately, I don’t see a way to upgrade the catalog itself. I assume we just remove the catalog and then reinstall it and it will be Helm v3.