how to disable desktop effect in SLED 12?

Hello:

I am just wondering how to disable desktop effect in SLED 12? I don’t like the max. min. animation effect.

thank you very much.

Albert

SLED 11 has something called Desktop Effects which can be disabled or enabled, but there is no equivalent in SLED 12.

Your could try what is described at
http://blog.christophersmart.com/2014/03/15/disable-animations-in-gnome-3-for-older-hardware/

The Desktop Effects setting in SLED 11 actually switches the window manager between metacity (off) and compiz (on).

Thanks a lot for helpful advices. It works now.

I am using the SLED environment, however, I cannot find a “start” manu in my desktop task bar… Do you have any idea how to find it back?

many thanks in advance.

ALbert

[QUOTE=mikewillis;24777]SLED 11 has something called Desktop Effects which can be disabled or enabled, but there is no equivalent in SLED 12.

Your could try what is described at
http://blog.christophersmart.com/2014/03/15/disable-animations-in-gnome-3-for-older-hardware/

The Desktop Effects setting in SLED 11 actually switches the window manager between metacity (off) and compiz (on).[/QUOTE]

I don’t think I understand your question. I’m not sure what you mean by either ‘SLED environment’ or ‘start’ menu. There are four Desktop Environments available on SLED 12:

[LIST]
[]GNOME. This is the full GNOME 3 ‘experience’
[
]GNOME Classic. This is GNOME 3 Classic Mode. I recommend using this if you don’t like the full GNOME 3 experience.
[]SLE Classic. This is the default in SLED 12 and it is specific to SLED 12. It’s essentially GNOME Classic but SUSE decided to create a version with no top bar.
[
]IceWM.
[/LIST]
This will tell you which one you are using:

$ echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

Neither GNOME 3 in SLED 12 nor GNOME 2 in SLED 11 have anything like the ‘start’ menu you’d find in Windows so I’m confused as to what you’re looking for. If you’re looking or an equivalent of something you have/had in SLED 11 then perhaps it would help if you posted a screenshot of that. My best guess would be you’re referring to the menu that appears at bottom left in the default GNOME 2 configuration of SLED 11 and is labelled with the word ‘Computer’ or whatever the equivalent is in your language. (I don’t know what your native language is, but I’d guess for you it might say Ordinateur or Calcolatore. Google Translate tells me that German for Computer is Computer!) If that is what you are looking for then there is no equivalent in SLED 12.