SLED 12 -> Autohide taskbar (top bar?)

Hi,

I’m trying to figure out how to do something as simple as autohide the task bar in SLED 12 (is it called top bar even though it’s at the bottom?). I’ve found gnome-extensions but can’t install them as there is no gnome-extension-tool it seems. I’ve tried right clicking but there are no popups for configuration purposes. I’ve tried looking in the gnome-tweak tool, but there are no options in there.

Preferable the solution would not involved internet access as this is to be configured at sites without internet.

If autohide is not possible, moving the bar to the side would also be sufficient.

Hi
The only way I can see is if you logout and switch to gnome shell
classic session, you should then find extensions like Hide Top Bar will
work.

You could then tar up the
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/<some_extension> to deploy?

Cheers Malcolm °¿° LFCS, SUSE Knowledge Partner (Linux Counter #276890)
openSUSE Leap 42.1|GNOME 3.16.2|4.1.20-11-default
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below… Thanks!

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;32266]Hi
The only way I can see is if you logout and switch to gnome shell
classic session, you should then find extensions like Hide Top Bar will
work.

You could then tar up the
~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/<some_extension> to deploy?

–[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this almost helped :). I was able to get the plugin to show and turn on, and then it came up with an error icon but no description. So I deleted my .local directory and started fresh, couldn’t get it to show up again :(. It may be proxy issues so right now I’m installing at home to try.

The other thing I tried, I noticed IceWM was available, so I logged in to it, but there was no cursor. I mucked around for a while and assumed it was VM issues since the client wouldn’t resize but it would in gnome. I then tried on two different VMs, same result, two esxi hosts, one virtual box host. I asked a colleague to try on the one they are running which is real hardware, still no cursor.

Sigh, seems this particular combination doesn’t like me.

[QUOTE=lionel82;32325]Thanks, this almost helped :). I was able to get the plugin to show and turn on, and then it came up with an error icon but no description. So I deleted my .local directory and started fresh, couldn’t get it to show up again :(. It may be proxy issues so right now I’m installing at home to try.

The other thing I tried, I noticed IceWM was available, so I logged in to it, but there was no cursor. I mucked around for a while and assumed it was VM issues since the client wouldn’t resize but it would in gnome. I then tried on two different VMs, same result, two esxi hosts, one virtual box host. I asked a colleague to try on the one they are running which is real hardware, still no cursor.

Sigh, seems this particular combination doesn’t like me.[/QUOTE]
Hi
Maybe try SLED 12 SP1 which is what I used, maybe next time create a test/new user and see if it replicates? Oh I used real hardware, but can try in a KVM test system?

[QUOTE=malcolmlewis;32326]Hi
Maybe try SLED 12 SP1 which is what I used, maybe next time create a test/new user and see if it replicates? Oh I used real hardware, but can try in a KVM test system?[/QUOTE]

You’re right, SP1 made some big improvements. I have installed hide top bar, and I think I have a workable solution, I’ve zipped the extensions directory and will see if it will work on the first release.

As an aside, IceWM now has a cursor in SP1, but AutoHideTaskBar doesn’t seem to work right, it’s hidden on login, but after hover and show, it doesn’t hide again.