How to Patch/Update Kernel Version SUSE 11 SP3

I am a beginner on installing SUSE. I have installed SUSE 11 SP3 x86_64 for SAP Applications on a new VM (DB98) and we have an existing VM (DB01) with suse installed in it.

I always get an error registering the product on YaST2 Novell Customer Center Configuration. ERROR: Failure when receiving data from the peer: (56). Even executing the command suse_register -L /root/.suse_register.log, I get the same error.

Now I checked the kernel version of both VMs using the command rpm -qa | grep kernel and the results were different:

DB98 (NEW):

kernel-default-base-3.0.76-0.11.1
kernel-default-3.0.76-0.11.1
kernel-firmware-20110923-0.42.49

DB01 (EXISTING):
kernel-default-base-3.0.101-0.31.1
kernel-source-3.0.101-0.15.1
kernel-firmware-20110923-0.48.1
kernel-source-3.0.101-0.31.1
linux-kernel-headers-2.6.32-1.15.1
kernel-default-3.0.101-0.31.1
kernel-default-devel-3.0.101-0.31.1

Does anybody know how do I update/patch DB98 so that it will have the same kernel versions with DB01? I am having a hard time searching on the web on how to patch and where to get the media to be used.

Same with running the command rpm -qa, package versions for DB01 are more updated while DC98’s are not. Do I have to manually update each packages? I have around 300 outdated packages.

Please advise anyone. I would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks,
AJ

Hi AJ,

SUSE has moved to SCC instead of NCC - have you activated your registration key in SCC (https://scc.suse.com) before running the registration in the server?

Regards,
J.

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;32659]Hi AJ,

SUSE has moved to SCC instead of NCC - have you activated your registration key in SCC (https://scc.suse.com) before running the registration in the server?

Regards,
J.[/QUOTE]

Hi J,

Thanks for the info. I just tried https://scc.suse.com now and this is what I see:
Please Click Here for Screenshot

By the way, I am able to update the kernel version however, I have problems updating all 290 packages of the server (from rpm -qa). I need to update the packages to a similar version as our existing server (DB01). Do I have to install new versions one by one or is there an easier way to do it? Example, utilizing a satellite tool like the one used in RedHat? Online update maybe?

Thanks,
AJ

Hi J,

I also checked the Base and Extensions tab of scc. I see these 29 repos for SUSE 11 SAP SP3:

Do I need to install all these? What are the purpose of these repos?

Thanks,
AJ

Hi,

Just an update, my proxy is now working, but still I get the same error when using the Novell Customer Center Configuration. ERROR: Failure when receiving data from the peer: (56). .

Also, I have updated the kernels as well. My only concern right now is Novell Configuration which is needed for Online Update.

The main reason I need to perform an Online Update is because I need to update all 290 rpm packages to a later version and I can’t find these specific rpm versions online so I can install them manually one by one. I believe I can only update these rpm packages thru YaST Online Update. Am I correct?

Please advise.

Thanks,
AJ

Hi AJ,

The main reason I need to perform an Online Update is because I need to update all 290 rpm packages to a later version and I can’t find these specific rpm versions online […] I believe I can only update these rpm packages thru YaST Online Update. Am I correct?

While I’d generally very much prefer to use libzypp (which operates in the background of i.e. YaST online update, as well as cmd line tools like “zypper”) to perform package up-/downgrades, you actually do have access to individual patches online: Once you’re logged in (single sign-on, so accessing SCC through the browser would already have you logged in) you can use https://www.suse.com/patchfinder (which currently will redirect you to a Novell patchfinder service, this is ok) and look up the RPMs. This will not, however, resolve all dependents, so you might face a situation where you have located & downloaded all 190 RPMs and get a lot of missing packages listed when trying to install :frowning:

I also checked the Base and Extensions tab of scc. I see these 29 repos for SUSE 11 SAP SP3

Typically, registering your server with SCC (or NCC) will automatically set up the required repositories for libzypp (i.e. use “zypper lr” to list all currently configured repositories… that will most likely be an empty list for you ATM) so that your server has access to the required sources for RPMs. As I can see from your earlier screen shot, the license key is activated, but no server is currently registered (which matches your problem description in the first post).

BTW, in the first message you reported that you ran suse_register, specifying a log file. Have you had a look at that file to see where the reported error stems from? With that information I might be able to dig up any individual updates required (most likely to libopenssl) so that access to the server can be successfully established.

For a start, could you please check patchfinder to update libopenssl (and prereqs) to the current level (or at least the version you see on the working server) and if that doesn’t help, try to install curl-openssl1 (i.e. by updating curl-openssl1 - see https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Ey1lhsA7kCM~)?

I’m guessing wildly here, but there have been major updates to SSL recently, and web servers have been configured to lock out clients (i.e. your server trying to access NCC) that only support old protocol versions.

Regards,
J

[QUOTE=jmozdzen;32697]Hi AJ,

The main reason I need to perform an Online Update is because I need to update all 290 rpm packages to a later version and I can’t find these specific rpm versions online […] I believe I can only update these rpm packages thru YaST Online Update. Am I correct?

While I’d generally very much prefer to use libzypp (which operates in the background of i.e. YaST online update, as well as cmd line tools like “zypper”) to perform package up-/downgrades, you actually do have access to individual patches online: Once you’re logged in (single sign-on, so accessing SCC through the browser would already have you logged in) you can use https://www.suse.com/patchfinder (which currently will redirect you to a Novell patchfinder service, this is ok) and look up the RPMs. This will not, however, resolve all dependents, so you might face a situation where you have located & downloaded all 190 RPMs and get a lot of missing packages listed when trying to install :frowning:

I also checked the Base and Extensions tab of scc. I see these 29 repos for SUSE 11 SAP SP3

Typically, registering your server with SCC (or NCC) will automatically set up the required repositories for libzypp (i.e. use “zypper lr” to list all currently configured repositories… that will most likely be an empty list for you ATM) so that your server has access to the required sources for RPMs. As I can see from your earlier screen shot, the license key is activated, but no server is currently registered (which matches your problem description in the first post).

BTW, in the first message you reported that you ran suse_register, specifying a log file. Have you had a look at that file to see where the reported error stems from? With that information I might be able to dig up any individual updates required (most likely to libopenssl) so that access to the server can be successfully established.

For a start, could you please check patchfinder to update libopenssl (and prereqs) to the current level (or at least the version you see on the working server) and if that doesn’t help, try to install curl-openssl1 (i.e. by updating curl-openssl1 - see https://download.novell.com/Download?buildid=Ey1lhsA7kCM~)?

I’m guessing wildly here, but there have been major updates to SSL recently, and web servers have been configured to lock out clients (i.e. your server trying to access NCC) that only support old protocol versions.

Regards,
J[/QUOTE]

Hi J,

Thank you very much. I have updated the server already via Online Update on YaST.

I will post another thread for my new concern which is NFS Boot.

Thanks a lot,
AJ