Mac OSX Docker-machine Error with pre-check

I’m working of Mac OSX with VirtualBox. I have a rancher/server installed (via docker run -d --restart=always -p 8080:8080 rancher/server) on Virtualbox (which is running on my MAC OSX). That’s working successfully.

However, when I add a host, I get the

Error with pre-create check: “VBoxManage not found. Make sure VirtualBox is installed and VBoxManage is in the path”

My initial idea is that this would install a host on the Virtualbox running on Mac OSX, but from the error message I’m getting it seems to indicate that vboxmanage must run into the rancher/server Linux?

Can someone confirm I need to run Vboxmanage inside the rancher/server?

The virtualbox driver should never have really been offered as an option, and is being hidden in 1.1.0-dev2… It assumes that you are running machine on the same host as virtualbox is running, and therefore vboxmanage is available.

So if it was not intended in the first place, I would not want to go ahead with it. Are there other options I could use to have basically a mini datacenter on my laptop. Just trying Rancher out for now…

You can still spin up Ubuntu (or RancherOS, or anything else) VMs in VirtualBox, install Docker (curl https://releases.rancher.com/install-docker/1.10.sh | sh) if it’s not already installed, and then register it with Rancher using the command from the custom Add Host screen.