Multiple server SP Migration

Hello Everyone,

Is it possible to use ‘SP Migration’ to upgrade multiple servers instead of one server at the same time?
It means, assigning multiple servers in SSM and start to (SP Migrate) upgrade 10 or more servers just with one click.

Thank you,
Attila

Can you do it? Yes. It is supported? I do not know, and you may want to
ask the company officially for that kind of answer. In the past I was
told that it was not supported (SUSE Manager 2.x) but I have not asked
since then.

Alternatively, if you turn up logging (rhn_check -vv) and then kick off
the migration you can easily see the commands that it runs, which are just
‘zypper’ commands. As a result you can do multiple SP migrations/upgrades
using the commands and achieve the same end results nicely without
techniclly using that particular one-server-at-a-time feature of SUSE
Manager, and that is, in my opinion, supported, and a couple clients of
mine have done this in the past.

Good luck.

If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
show your appreciation and click on the star below…

Thank you for your quick answer.

We’re using SUMA 3.0.3 (with latest updates).

Yes, I know how to use ‘remote commands’ → with ‘zypper dup’, but the “SP Migration” function is avaliable on webui and i assumed that i could use it for migration/updrade multiple servers.

I hope it will work in the future.

[QUOTE=amaxiprivate;36817]Thank you for your quick answer.

We’re using SUMA 3.0.3 (with latest updates).

Yes, I know how to use ‘remote commands’ → with ‘zypper dup’, but the “SP Migration” function is avaliable on webui and i assumed that i could use it for migration/updrade multiple servers.

I hope it will work in the future.[/QUOTE]
Hi
If you use the web interface (select dry run option first!), it will go through the systems based on a schedule, I only have a small setup here a couple of servers and desktops, but have scheduled them all to do a dry run then check later on to see the results (did that with upgrades to SP1 from SP0). You could then look at how long this took to refine a fixed schedule option to run through the upgrades?

Yes. SP Migration works perfectly, but I have 280 servers, so multiple ‘SP Migration’ function is really missing.

Hi!

I’m working with 1300 nodes atm. The solution is you make a little ruby or python script to schedule multiple SP migration via SUMA API, but I agree it would be easier on the UI. I think it worth to raise a feature request for that.

system.scheduleSPMigration API call

Kind regards,
Istvan.

Sorry to be the bad guy here again, but I (i.e. my organisation) pay a six-figure sum of money and SUSE did not even include this simple option in the WebGUI? So I have to script it???

Come on SUSE, you’re selling enterprise software here for an enterprise price but it seems to me it is more like something a bad script kiddie has put together in the basement of his parents. As a customer I’m really pissed of about something like this.

(…) I think it worth to raise a feature request for that. (…)

Our SUSE contact told us, that there is no roadmap and no intention to introduce ever a feature "to schedule multiple SP migration " in SUMA GUI.

[QUOTE=barthai;37092]Hi!

I’m working with 1300 nodes atm. The solution is you make a little ruby or python script to schedule multiple SP migration via SUMA API, but I agree it would be easier on the UI. I think it worth to raise a feature request for that.

system.scheduleSPMigration API call

Kind regards,
Istvan.[/QUOTE]

And can you give an example script to do that? Perhaps I can edit and use this for my reasons?