Rancher install failed with helm

@J_McEvoy you need to do that as root user… sudo and it’s after you copy the /etc/rancher/k3s/k3s.yaml file after you re-installed k3s.

I managed to sort permissions out last night but now getting the following erro:

@J_McEvoy can you paste the output from kubectl describe pods metrics-server -n kube-system, maybe send it to a file and scp it back to your local host to post all the text here.

I found the problem and managed to resolve it, it turns out i used the ip you put in your instructions above so it was messing with things so i ended up putting in the ip of my vm and it worked a charm. Rancher is now up but i dont know how to access it, if i run my local ip for eg “https://192.168..” it comes up with a 404 error, any ideas?

@J_McEvoy ahh that info was going to be my next question… good deal :slight_smile:

So I suspect the hostname you set, I normally add it to the /etc/hosts file on the vm and local host. Is the vm running a firewall?

no firewall, but is that what i do add it to my hosts? because all i wanna do is use it locally for now

@J_McEvoy what did you use in the --set hostname= part of the helm rancher install;
for my test I used kermit.homelinux.org with the 192.168.10.20 k3s install. So that’s what I have on the localhost’s /etc/hosts;
192.168.10.20 kermit.homelinux.org kermit

sh*t i just copied your install command, dam me for not looking :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

@J_McEvoy ahh at least you have it all sorted now!. What desktop/laptop operating system are you using locally to access the vm? I would look at installing rancher-desktop and using that for any development if you have some spare cpu/ram on it.

@malcolmlewis1 I run a proxmox server on a pc, then I use my gaming laptop to access the vm remotely through ssh or web gui, I was hoping to cluster it all so i can have it runnin through a few vms and my raspberry pi as one of the nodes, but I have no idea if I can have a master machine vm as it where and have my pi as a node.
I was gonna ask if you’d be able to help me setup something like that as I need assistance wid nodes and master, I was hoping to run my docker containers through them all. If you can help it would be appreciated. So sorry for taking your time and also for the long paragraph

@J_McEvoy sure that’s possible, you might want to join https://community.suse.com/ as there are resources there that will help and some blogs on how it’s done. I can PM you an invite if wanting to join?

So I’m guessing you’re turning down my offer lol what does suse do

@J_McEvoy nope, not at all :wink: They are the Rancher owners, SUSE Linux Enterprise and also the primary openSUSE sponsor. The Community is focused education, events, free courses, the rancher Academy etc. So a lot of free resources and blogs, as well as folks asking kubernetes questions etc that don’t hang out here…

I had a look at there website last night, do they OS’s as well?, what I’m wanting to do is have 4 machines running 1 master 3 nodes then have docker containers across them so when one goes down the other kicks in to back it up if that makes sense

@J_McEvoy yes operating systems as well. That shouldn’t be an issue to create that setup.

Messaged you on pm through suse @malcolmlewis1