Rancher install failed with helm

@J_McEvoy can you check ownership and permissions of the file ls -la $(pwd)/.kube/k3s.yaml

@malcolmlewis1 here
Screenshot_24

@J_McEvoy so not owned by your user or group… I don’t know what Ubuntu uses group wise, just do an ls -la ~/ to list your files and then set the username and group (I suspect you will need to use sudo), chown username:group /home/username/.kube/k3s.yaml and check it’s all ok, not 600:root :wink:

@malcolmlewis1 thanks for your help with this, i hope im not taking u away from anything busy, how does this look: :stuck_out_tongue::
Uploading: cert.png…

@J_McEvoy alas looks like the image did not upload?

@malcolmlewis1 hello again, yes the image failed to upload. For some reason this forum only gives u a certain amount of replies to send when your a new user so I had to wait ten hours and thought id be able to send the draft I had ready off my phone but looks like my pc screenshot didn’t work when it sent.

heres the screenshot
cert

@J_McEvoy that looks much better :smile:

So as long as you have exported the yaml file, you should be good to proceed.

kubectl -n cert-manager rollout status deploy/cert-manager
deployment "cert-manager" successfully rolled out

kubectl -n cert-manager rollout status deploy/cert-manager-webhook
deployment "cert-manager-webhook" successfully rolled out

kubectl create namespace cattle-system
namespace/cattle-system created
(An extra check)
kubectl get pods --all-namespaces --sort-by={metadata.namespace} | sort -r

How does that all look? The last command should show pods and their STATUS running or completed… (no image necessary).

:frowning:

@J_McEvoy no sudo required, all the helm and kubectl commands are performed as your user, aside from the yaml file permission change/move etc.

i thought i fixed the permissions

@J_McEvoy you didn’t run the export command, every time you login to that shell it needs to be run… Run that and try again :wink:

did that when i ran it again i get this:

like it doin somethin

@J_McEvoy what does kubectl get pods --all-namespaces --sort-by={metadata.namespace} | sort -r show? You might need to uninstall cert-manager and try again.

ye i think i might look

the output:

@J_McEvoy I wonder if k3s got confused with the yaml issue… want to try a k3s install again? So do that as root user, then copy the k3s.yaml file over, fix permissions etc, then export and check the status of k3s with kubectl get pods --all-namespaces --sort-by={metadata.namespace} | sort -r if they look all good, then proceed with the cert-manager install.

You should see for example;

kubectl get pods --all-namespaces --sort-by={metadata.namespace} | sort -r

NAMESPACE     NAME                                      READY   STATUS      RESTARTS   AGE
kube-system   traefik-66c46d954f-7l2z6                  1/1     Running     0          4m25s
kube-system   svclb-traefik-2402b4ac-lltmn              2/2     Running     0          4m25s
kube-system   metrics-server-5f9f776df5-9hdws           1/1     Running     0          4m44s
kube-system   local-path-provisioner-79f67d76f8-nmrx5   1/1     Running     0          4m44s
kube-system   helm-install-traefik-pkxqh                0/1     Completed   1          4m44s
kube-system   helm-install-traefik-crd-wpfhb            0/1     Completed   0          4m44s
kube-system   coredns-597584b69b-fk8xh                  1/1     Running     0          4m44s

dam, got to start again this is gonna be a pain haha, thanks for sticking around, ill prob get timed out again so if i dont reply for a while u know why haha

@J_McEvoy it’s a process, no worries, just take small steps and should be all fine :smile:

ive ran chown username:group, but still gettin permission error