SLEPOS 11 basic question

Sir,
Sorry, I have less Linux experience.
We design mother board for our ODM customer. They requested platform must support Novell SLEPOS 11 distribution.
Is Novell SLEPOS 11 the same as SUSE SLEPOS 11 ?
I can download one 60 days trial version of SLEPOS 11 from web-site, but it said my trial license has expired.

• Iso file name : “SLE-11-SP3-POS-CD-i586-x86_64-GM-DVD.iso”.
  • File size : 94MB.

I burn this iso file to DVD and want to boot from it. But result is this DVD is not bootable.
I want to use USB tool “rufus” to put iso file to USB flash key. The tool also recognize this iso is not bootable.

Where can I download trial version of SLEPOS 11 iso file ?

Rick

Hi Rick,

[QUOTE=rickfangtw;54557]Sir,
Sorry, I have less Linux experience.
We design mother board for our ODM customer. They requested platform must support Novell SLEPOS 11 distribution.
Is Novell SLEPOS 11 the same as SUSE SLEPOS 11 ?
I can download one 60 days trial version of SLEPOS 11 from web-site, but it said my trial license has expired.

• Iso file name : “SLE-11-SP3-POS-CD-i586-x86_64-GM-DVD.iso”.
  • File size : 94MB.

I burn this iso file to DVD and want to boot from it. But result is this DVD is not bootable.
I want to use USB tool “rufus” to put iso file to USB flash key. The tool also recognize this iso is not bootable.

Where can I download trial version of SLEPOS 11 iso file ?

Rick[/QUOTE]

yes, “Novell SLE POS 11” and “SUSE Linux Enterprise Point of Server 11” can be considered synonyms.

SLEPOS 11 is not a product that is separately bootable - it’s an “Add-On” to a SLES 11 system. So you’ll have to install SLES11 first and then use i.e. the ISO to install the add-on. But from what I’ve seen, there’s more to it to test the suitability of your hardware, since “installing SLEPOS” requires first setting up an admin server (SLES11 + POS Add-On), and using the SLEPOS infrastructure to deploy to the actual POS systems (your hardware) later on. See i.e. https://www.suse.com/documentation/slepos11/singlehtml/book_slepos/book_slepos.html#cha.slepos_inst

When you say “downloaded from web site”, I assume it was like from here: http://download.suse.com/index.jsp?product_id=&search=Search&version=42048, which will give you SLE-11-SP3-POS-CD-i586-x86_64-GM-DVD.iso as you stated. I would recommend you verify the md5 checksum of your download, which is said to be “8371851275e0e58f43c3215f4fc2defc” on the SUSE download page.

The 60 days license grants mostly access to updates. If yours expired before you were able to install, I guess the easiest way would be to contact your local SUSE pre-sales reps and describe your situation, you’ll likely receive a new, prolonged key. And maybe they also have an idea on how you can test your hardware without having to set up a SLE POS server infrastructure yourself.

Regards,
J

rickfangtw wrote:

[color=blue]

I burn this iso file to DVD and want to boot from it. But result is
this DVD is not bootable.[/color]

The easiest way to do this in Linux is with the dd command.
[color=blue]

I want to use USB tool “rufus” to put iso file to USB flash key. The
tool also recognize this iso is not bootable.[/color]

This SUSE article has more details:
How to create a bootable installation USB drive for SLE 11 or SLE 12
https://www.suse.com/support/kb/doc/?id=7017894

The Rufus website has a “Non exhaustive list of ISOs Rufus is known to
work with” that does not include SUSE. That may tell you something.

If you must do this from Windows, there are other tools available. You
can search for them.

Kevin Boyle - Knowledge Partner
If you find this post helpful and are logged into the web interface,
please show your appreciation and click on the star below this post.
Thank you.

Hi Jmozdzen,
So, we just need test SLES 11 system in our platform if only for hardware compatible testing.
SLE POS 11 is one add-on software, which be not relative to hardware function.
Right ?

Rick

Hi Rick,

So, we just need test SLES 11 system in our platform if only for hardware compatible testing.
SLE POS 11 is one add-on software, which be not relative to hardware function.
Right ?

that’s very likely, but having no hands-on experience with SLE POS, I cannot make more than an educated guess.

Two things to consider: hardware support by the created Linux image for the POS devices (like you I’d assume that since SLE POS is based on SLES11, you ought to be fine when you have SLES11 working on those devices), but also the mechanism for distribution (IOW: How is the image pushed onto the POS devices and does your hardware support that? Things like PXE come to mind).

I recommend giving SUSE a call, a pre-sales engineer will likely be more helpful than me forums fellow :wink: Looking at your user name, maybe the Taiwan office is closest to you? From https://www.suse.com/contact/:

[quote]Taipei
Room B, 26th Floor,
No.216, Sec. 2, Dunhua S. Road, Da’an District
Taipei City, Taipei, 106
Tel: 886-2-2376-0002[/quote]

Regards,
J