SLES 8.1 ISO's Required so that I can install vmtools. HELP!

:o Okay so first time I have come across SuSE and she is driving me mad. :rolleyes: My boggle is thus:

I have been tasked with sorting out an issue where the P2V’d SLES 8.1 VM’s are crashing with :
(svga) INVALID SGVA FIFO registers.

I figure this is cause the VMTOOLS is not installed. (there are other issues but this one is shuttin down (halting) the machines.

I downloaded some packages that i was recommended to put on, GCC make, Kernel-Source and ibuild. Now the thing is these all have multipule dependancies and the distro i seem to have doesnt have them. There is no “development” on the machines as when these were built, the default was not to install it.

I figured I would make a repo for YAST2 so that it would solve the dependancies for me but realised that createrepo and zypper cannot be installed without dependancies either. Best line of attack here i reckon was to try get a grip of the ISO’s for SLES 8.1 and the “united linux” ISO’s??
Apologies up front for my “green” SuSE knowledge (ha ha) but first time I ahave had to use it.

Anyone out there that can preferable put up the ISO links I need (Cannot find any but this. http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/suse/discontinued/i386/8.1/) which is a net build distro, I have no outside connectivity with the SLES 8.1 Servers (VMs). downloaded the package list off it but thats all, (its lacking some of what I need). :cool:

So thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

[QUOTE=STMPUnix;25398]…
I have been tasked with sorting out an issue where the P2V’d SLES 8.1 VM’s are crashing with :
(svga) INVALID SGVA FIFO registers.

I figure this is cause the VMTOOLS is not installed. (there are other issues but this one is shuttin down (halting) the machines. …[/QUOTE]

Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

Wow… Is the mentioned version (SLES 8.1) what you are running, or is that a typo? :slight_smile:

That distribution is very outdated and tools like zypper will not run on that version. I’m also doubtful that a recent version of VMware tools will run correctly on such an old SLES version.

Faced with such an old version, I’d probably first see if the machine runs more stable by using a basic video mode and not running X and leave VMware tools out of play.

Where are you seeing the “INVALID SGVA FIFO registers”? Is that while trying to boot the server? Or while the server has been running for some time?

Cheers,
Willem

[QUOTE=Magic31;25402]Hi,

Welcome to the forums!

Wow… Is the mentioned version (SLES 8.1) what you are running, or is that a typo? :slight_smile:

That distribution is very outdated and tools like zypper will not run on that version. I’m also doubtful that a recent version of VMware tools will run correctly on such an old SLES version.

Faced with such an old version, I’d probably first see if the machine runs more stable by using a basic video mode and not running X and leave VMware tools out of play.

Where are you seeing the “INVALID SGVA FIFO registers”? Is that while trying to boot the server? Or while the server has been running for some time?

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha Yes believe your eyes. It’s SLES 8.1, apologies for not replying yesterday as I was in the centre working on this. Unfortunately "not running X wotn be a starter for reasons I cannot go into here. Basic video driver…hmmm methinks that will be something I will look. :confused:
The errors appear in the “VM events log” on the host.

Thanks for responding either way. :wink:

LOL, I find it impressive by itself that you managed to P2V that version and get it running :slight_smile:

My first thought reading your post was to try and load the system using something like vesafb (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt). But I don’t know what options are available with SLES 8 and the 2.4 kernel it runs. You’d need to reconfigure X as well to get things running. Unfortunately I don’t have that version of SLES (don’t even have version 9 handy) to test with.
The failsafe boot mode might also give some options you could try.

But as previously said, I would not even try fiddling with VMware tools, unless you have some old version of the tools that is known to work with SLES 8. But I see to many heralds there in getting that running on that system.

Good to know. Thanks.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers,
Willem

[QUOTE=Magic31;25444]LOL, I find it impressive by itself that you managed to P2V that version and get it running :slight_smile:

My first thought reading your post was to try and load the system using something like vesafb (https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/vesafb.txt). But I don’t know what options are available with SLES 8 and the 2.4 kernel it runs. You’d need to reconfigure X as well to get things running. Unfortunately I don’t have that version of SLES (don’t even have version 9 handy) to test with.
The failsafe boot mode might also give some options you could try.

But as previously said, I would not even try fiddling with VMware tools, unless you have some old version of the tools that is known to work with SLES 8. But I see to many heralds there in getting that running on that system.

Good to know. Thanks.

Let us know how you go!

Cheers,
Willem[/QUOTE]

Wiilem, :cool:

Thanks for the response.

With regards the VMWare-tools. The ESXI has a linux tools set that i wouldn’t mind trying to “wedge in” but as I say the real issue there is that it requires a kernel rebuild and various packages with mutipule dependancies.

For example;

Although there is a gcc compiler on the system the tools installer doesn’t see it. This post the guy had a the same issue.
http://benohead.com/vmware-the-path-usrbingcc-is-not-valid-path-to-the-gcc-binary/

WMWare have an article (refer below) that appears to fix this but again refers to having YAST2 setup.
VMware Manually Building VMware Tools Kernel Modules in SLES and SLED Guests (1009129) refers to installing packages to fix the issue.

As I cannot create a repo (no package onthe system) there appears to my “green eyes” at least to be only update from the Web, No-go or have the CDC/DVD’s for the server to load and run YAST from.

We are trying other solutions at the moment. Namely removing the SGVA driver and disabling the X on the server console. Hopefully these will give some stability. The other possibility os also “power save” or “Screen timeouts” that could be causing the issues so they are going to have to go. Presently looking up just how we would implement these with SLES 8.1 I will keep you posted how we get on in the hope that should this thread help anyone.

STMPUnix:cool: