Trying to remove task / bottom bar - gconf changes being ign

Hello,
I need some advice, because this is driving me mad, and after a good few hours battering the internet I’m still not getting anywhere. Hopefully someone can help / point me in the right direction.

I have SLES 12.1 with GNOME Shell 3.10.4 I don’t have have access to the internet from the machine I am working on.

I am trying to get rid of the bottom bar (the task bar in Windows), including the clock / application menu / short cuts / notification stuff; i.e. the whole bar. I’d like to do this for all users in a particular user group, including new ones. I’d like to be able to do this from a bash script, which I can run as root. At the moment can’t manage to change the desktop for a single user. Once I can manage this I’ll probably be able to do the rest.

I have tried removing the panel as a required component…

gconftool-2 --set “/desktop/gnome/session/required-components” --type list --list-type
string [windowmanager,filemanager]

I have tried setting the top / bottom panels to 0 and massive sizes…

gconftool-2 --set “/app/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen1/size” --type integer 240
gconftool-2 --set “/app/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen1/size” --type integer 240
gconftool-2 --set “/app/panel/toplevels/top_panel_screen1/size” --type integer 0
gconftool-2 --set “/app/panel/toplevels/bottom_panel_screen1/size” --type integer 0

I have made these changes and rebooting I have made the changes and run gconftool-rebuild I have tried editing the values on the command line (as above) and using the GNOME Configuration Editor. There appears to be no effect on the GUI.

One thing that may be of relevance is that there is no gconfd service running, and I haven’t yet managed to find it no my HDD or the distribution disks.

Has anyone got any ideas how I can investigate this OS stubboness further / what I can try next?

Thanks for any help provided, Jonnn

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:
There are a lot of customizations that the SLE folks did to get it on the bottom. These days it’s also dconf, dconf-editor (GUI) and gsettings, Look at the installed ‘branding’ files, but removing/tweaking these just set things back to the defaults, then you would need to look at downloading extensions and manually installing.

But maybe look at using ICEwm as the default DE instead and configure that to your requirements?